1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of a dipole - Wopho Problem

1. Jan 3, 2014 #1
    This problem is originally from Wopho and its goal is to describe the trajectory of a point mass charge around a dipole.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2676/fvac.png [Broken]

First we have to calculate the radial and tangential electric fields made by the dipole (this I've done as well) but when it asks about the trajectory I get confused

I've calculated the radial electric field Er = 2kqd cosθ/R³ and the tangential electric field Et = kqd sinθ/R³

From this I get the following:
    Let B = kQqd/m

[itex]\frac{d^{2}R}{dt^{2}} = \frac{2B cosθ}{R^{3} }[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^{2}θ}{dt^{2}} = \frac{B sinθ}{R^{4} }[/itex]

R initial = D
    θ initial = 0
    dR/dt initial = 0
    dθ/dt initial = V/D

How do I find R(t), θ(t) or R(θ)?

[]'s
    John

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"describe" or "calculate"? Calculating looks more complicated than the Kepler problem - it could be possible (I don't know), but I would be surprised if there is an easy solution.

4. Jan 4, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The trajectory depends on the initial conditions of the charge. What are they?

Other than that I see no particular problem: F = ma with F = qE, E = electric field of a dipole. Set up a coordinarte system with the dipole center at the origin and the dipole direction along the x axis. Write x and y equations. I haven't done the math so maybe that's a challenge.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted