Kinematics of a dipole - Wopho Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem from Wopho that involves describing the trajectory of a point mass charge around a dipole. The first step is to calculate the radial and tangential electric fields created by the dipole. The next step is to use these fields to find the equations for the charge's position and velocity, taking into account the initial conditions such as the charge's starting position and velocity. The solution involves setting up a coordinate system and solving the equations using F=ma with F=qE.
jaumzaum
This problem is originally from Wopho and its goal is to describe the trajectory of a point mass charge around a dipole.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2676/fvac.png

First we have to calculate the radial and tangential electric fields made by the dipole (this I've done as well) but when it asks about the trajectory I get confused

I've calculated the radial electric field Er = 2kqd cosθ/R³ and the tangential electric field Et = kqd sinθ/R³

From this I get the following:
Let B = kQqd/m

[itex]\frac{d^{2}R}{dt^{2}} = \frac{2B cosθ}{R^{3} }[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^{2}θ}{dt^{2}} = \frac{B sinθ}{R^{4} }[/itex]

R initial = D
θ initial = 0
dR/dt initial = 0
dθ/dt initial = V/D

How do I find R(t), θ(t) or R(θ)?

[]'s
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"describe" or "calculate"? Calculating looks more complicated than the Kepler problem - it could be possible (I don't know), but I would be surprised if there is an easy solution.

The trajectory depends on the initial conditions of the charge. What are they?

Other than that I see no particular problem: F = ma with F = qE, E = electric field of a dipole. Set up a coordinarte system with the dipole center at the origin and the dipole direction along the x axis. Write x and y equations. I haven't done the math so maybe that's a challenge.

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics of a dipole - Wopho Problem

1. What is a dipole in kinematics?

A dipole in kinematics is a pair of electric charges or magnetic poles that are separated by a small distance and have opposite signs. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the dipole.

2. How does the motion of a dipole affect its dipole moment?

The motion of a dipole can affect its dipole moment by changing the distance between the charges or poles, or by changing the direction of the dipole. This can happen as a result of external forces acting on the dipole, such as electric or magnetic fields.

3. What is the equation for the dipole moment of a dipole in kinematics?

The equation for the dipole moment of a dipole in kinematics is μ = qd, where μ is the dipole moment, q is the magnitude of the charge or pole, and d is the distance between the charges or poles.

4. How does the dipole moment affect the torque on a dipole?

The dipole moment affects the torque on a dipole by determining the strength of the force that is exerted on the dipole in an electric or magnetic field. The torque is given by the equation τ = μ x B, where τ is the torque, μ is the dipole moment, and B is the strength of the external field.

5. What is the relationship between the dipole moment and the angular momentum of a dipole in kinematics?

The dipole moment and the angular momentum of a dipole in kinematics are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the dipole moment increases, the angular momentum also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation L = μ x ω, where L is the angular momentum, μ is the dipole moment, and ω is the angular velocity of the dipole.