Calculating Plane Height When Stone is Thrown at It

• Thread starter siddharthmishra19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the question involves determining the height at which a plane is flying when a stone, thrown at it with a given velocity and angle, hits the plane. The equations of motion for the plane and stone must be written and the initial vertical velocity of the stone must be determined. The problem also involves intersecting curves/trajectories and may require additional information to solve accurately.
siddharthmishra19
Q: A plane is flying horizontal to the ground with uniform velocity Vo. A stone is thrown at it with velocity V1 and angle alpha to the horizontal. If the stone hit the plane, at what height is it flying?

The simple equations of uniform acceleration are available to me.

We obviously have to equate

x coordinate of plane during collision = x cooridinate of stone during collision
y coordinate of plane during collision = y coordinate of ston during collision.

I have attached an image of how I percieve this question. Sorry for the crappy drawing.

Anyway, my question is how to write the equations of motion for the plane and stone. Thank you.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Determine the initial vertical velocity of the stone, then relate the height it achieves in terms of initial velocity and constant acceleration (or deceleration) due to gravity.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

The stone has to achieve the same altitude, then it has to be at that altitude at the same time.

Basically, the problem is one of intersecting curves/trajectories.

But it doesn't hit the plane at its maximum height. Or am I missing something?

siddharthmishra19 said:
Q: A plane is flying horizontal to the ground with uniform velocity Vo. A stone is thrown at it with velocity V1 and angle alpha to the horizontal. If the stone hit the plane, at what height is it flying?
Are we to assume that the stone is thrown at the instant that the plane passes directly overhead? If so, take advantage of that information.

you should use the equation S= ut +1/2 at^2
or in this case S= ut - 1/2 gt^2
v^2=u^2 + 2as
I sincerely believe there are some information missing

1. How do you calculate the height of a plane when a stone is thrown at it?

The height of the plane can be calculated using the equation h = v02sin2θ/2g, where h is the height of the plane, v0 is the initial velocity of the stone, θ is the angle at which the stone is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the initial velocity of the stone?

The initial velocity of the stone can be determined by measuring the distance the stone traveled horizontally and the time it took to reach that distance. The equation v0 = d/t can then be used to calculate the initial velocity.

3. What angle should the stone be thrown at to reach a specific height on the plane?

The angle at which the stone should be thrown to reach a specific height on the plane can be calculated using the equation θ = arcsin(√(2gh)/v0), where h is the desired height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v0 is the initial velocity of the stone.

4. Is air resistance taken into account when calculating the height of the plane?

No, the equation for calculating the height of the plane assumes that there is no air resistance. In real-world scenarios, air resistance may play a small role in the height of the stone, but it is usually negligible unless the stone is thrown at very high speeds.

5. Can this equation be used for objects other than stones?

Yes, the equation can be used for any object that is thrown at a specific angle and initial velocity. However, the equation assumes that the object is thrown from ground level and there is no air resistance, so it may not be as accurate for other scenarios.