1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy - Force done by friction

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Kelli weighs 435 N, and she is sitting on a playground swing seat that hangs 0.44 m above the ground. Tom pulls the swing back and releases it when the seat is 1.00 m above the ground. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

(a) How fast is Kelli moving when the swing passes through its lowest position?
    SOLVED: 3.31 m/s

(b) If Kelli moves through the lowest point at 2.0 m/s, how much work was done on the swing by friction?
    SOLVED: 154.284 Joules

V at bottom in closed system = 3.31 m/s
    V at bottom in open system = 2.0 m/s
    Kelli's mass = 44.388 kg
    K in closed system = 243.158 Joules

2. Relevant equations

K = .5mv2 = J(oules)

W = Fd = J(oules)

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use the difference of the two velocities to find the kinetic energy in Joules, and it did NOT work.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2
    Not 100% sure but did this class today
    For b) you have to do conservation of energy .5mv^2+mgh+(work done by friction)= 0. From there you should have enough informationto solve for (work done by friction).
  4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    Which height should I use for the "change in potential energy part" or the formula? 1.00 m? .44 m? or .56 m?

I tried all three, and none gave me the answer I need.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    You should use .56 since the bottom of the swing is your refrence point
  6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    I now know the answer to part (b) is 154. 824 J, obtained by using the equation :

Can anyone explain how this give me the answer? I'm aware that [tex]\left(F\times\left(1-d\right)\right)[/tex] is the formula for Work. How does [tex]-\left(\frac{2F}{g}\right)[/tex] apply?
  7. Dec 11, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

No need to do all that.

You know m*g*h = 435*(.56) = 243.6 J
    In part a) that yields your v that I presume you calculated correctly.

In part b) they give you what the actual KE was so the Frictional losses must be the difference between the 2.

Your mass is 435/9.8 = 44.38 kg which yields 88.776 J of KE.

PE - KE = Work by friction.
  8. Dec 11, 2008 #7
    "PE - KE = work by friction" makes so much sense now that you said it.

Thanks a bunch. :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?