Kinetic Energy - Force done by friction

In summary, Tom pulls the swing back and releases it when the seat is 1.00 m above the ground. Kelli moves through the lowest point at 2.0 m/s, and the swing does 154.284 Joules of work.
RichardCory

Homework Statement

Kelli weighs 435 N, and she is sitting on a playground swing seat that hangs 0.44 m above the ground. Tom pulls the swing back and releases it when the seat is 1.00 m above the ground. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

(a) How fast is Kelli moving when the swing passes through its lowest position?
SOLVED: 3.31 m/s

(b) If Kelli moves through the lowest point at 2.0 m/s, how much work was done on the swing by friction?
SOLVED: 154.284 Joules

V at bottom in closed system = 3.31 m/s
V at bottom in open system = 2.0 m/s
Kelli's mass = 44.388 kg
K in closed system = 243.158 Joules

Homework Equations

K = .5mv2 = J(oules)

W = Fd = J(oules)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the difference of the two velocities to find the kinetic energy in Joules, and it did NOT work.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not 100% sure but did this class today
For b) you have to do conservation of energy .5mv^2+mgh+(work done by friction)= 0. From there you should have enough informationto solve for (work done by friction).

Which height should I use for the "change in potential energy part" or the formula? 1.00 m? .44 m? or .56 m?

I tried all three, and none gave me the answer I need.

Last edited:
You should use .56 since the bottom of the swing is your refrence point

I now know the answer to part (b) is 154. 824 J, obtained by using the equation :

[tex]\left(F\times\left(1-d\right)\right)-\left(\frac{2F}{g}\right)[/tex]

Can anyone explain how this give me the answer? I'm aware that [tex]\left(F\times\left(1-d\right)\right)[/tex] is the formula for Work. How does [tex]-\left(\frac{2F}{g}\right)[/tex] apply?

RichardCory said:
I now know the answer to part (b) is 154. 824 J, obtained by using the equation :

No need to do all that.

You know m*g*h = 435*(.56) = 243.6 J
In part a) that yields your v that I presume you calculated correctly.

In part b) they give you what the actual KE was so the Frictional losses must be the difference between the 2.

Your mass is 435/9.8 = 44.38 kg which yields 88.776 J of KE.

PE - KE = Work by friction.

"PE - KE = work by friction" makes so much sense now that you said it.

Thanks a bunch. :D

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of mechanical energy and is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so when an object is moving across a surface, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion. This force of friction does work on the object, converting some of its kinetic energy into heat energy.

3. How does the force of friction affect an object's kinetic energy?

The force of friction decreases an object's kinetic energy by doing negative work on it. This means that as an object moves, friction acts against its motion, slowing it down and decreasing its kinetic energy.

4. Can friction ever increase an object's kinetic energy?

No, the force of friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion and does negative work, meaning it always decreases an object's kinetic energy.

5. How can we calculate the force of friction acting on an object?

The force of friction can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials in contact and the roughness of the surface.