Kinetic Energy lost during elastic collision

In summary, using the equations for elastic collisions and kinetic energy, we can determine that the final velocity of the moving particle is (1u-197u)/198u * V1i and the percentage of kinetic energy lost can be found by simplifying (1u-197u)/198u and using the formula (1/2)m{v_{1f}}^2/(1/2)m{v_{1i}}^2 as a percentage.
vetteLT4
1. Homework Statement [/b]
A neutron (mass 1 u) experiences an elastic head-on collision with a gold nucleus (mass 197 u) that is originally at rest. What percentage of its original kinetic energy does the moving particle lose?

Homework Equations

Elastic Collision:

V1f= (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * V1i
K.E. = 1/2 m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The final Velocity of the moving particle is (1u-197u/198u) *V1i
But I don't know where to go from here in terms of solving the percentage of Kinetic Energy lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you confident of your result for the final velocity of the moving particle?

Simplify (1u-197u)/198u

Find: [tex]\frac{(1/2)m{v_{1f}}^2}{(1/2)m{v_{1i}}^2}[/tex] as a percentage. Lots of stuff should cancel.

What is kinetic energy lost during elastic collision?

Kinetic energy lost during elastic collision is the amount of energy that is not conserved in a collision between two objects. It is the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the system and the final kinetic energy of the system after the collision.

How is kinetic energy lost during elastic collision calculated?

Kinetic energy lost during elastic collision can be calculated using the equation KEloss = m1m2(v1-v2)^2 / (m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and v1 and v2 are their respective velocities before and after the collision.

Why is kinetic energy lost during elastic collision important?

Kinetic energy lost during elastic collision is important because it helps us understand the efficiency of a collision. It also plays a role in determining the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

How does the elasticity of the collision affect the amount of kinetic energy lost?

The elasticity of the collision, represented by the coefficient of restitution, determines the amount of kinetic energy lost during elastic collision. A perfectly elastic collision would result in no kinetic energy lost, while a completely inelastic collision would result in a maximum amount of kinetic energy lost.

Can kinetic energy lost during elastic collision be recovered?

No, kinetic energy lost during elastic collision cannot be recovered. This energy is typically converted into other forms, such as heat or sound, and is not available to be used again.