How High Must a Propeller Fall to Match Its Rotational Energy?

In summary, the airplane propeller has a length of 2.08 m and a mass of 117 kg. It is rotating at 2400 rev/min with a rotational kinetic energy of 1.33x10^6 J. To acquire the same kinetic energy if it were not rotating, it would have to drop a height of 1.159 km in free fall. There was a mistake made in converting the units from meters to kilometers, resulting in an incorrect answer.
rleung3
An airplane propeller is 2.08 m in length (from tip to tip) with mass 117 kg. The propeller is rotating at 2400 rev/min about an axis through its center. Its rotational kinetic energy is 1.33x10^6 J. If it were not rotating, how far would it have to drop in free fall to acquire the same kinetic energy?

I tried using this equation:

K1 (becomes 0) +U1 = K2+U2 (becomes 0)

since the object would start from rest, K1=0. I will call the height of the object y=h, and the point at which it reaches required kinetic energy will be at y=0

U1 = K2
mgh = 1.33x10^6 J
h=(1.33x10^6 J)/(mg)

But that answer is wrong. The computer doesn't give me the right answer, but it says that one is wrong. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. What was the exact answer that you put in?

I put in 1159 m (1.33x10^6 J)/(117g). It usually leaves room for errors up to 10%.

OOHH! Nevermind..it wanted the answer in km and I put it in m. Stupid me!

FAQ: How High Must a Propeller Fall to Match Its Rotational Energy?

1. What is kinetic energy of free fall?

Kinetic energy of free fall is the energy possessed by an object when it is in motion due to the force of gravity. It is the energy that an object gains as it falls towards the ground.

2. How is kinetic energy of free fall calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of free fall is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. Does the mass of the object affect its kinetic energy of free fall?

Yes, the mass of the object directly affects its kinetic energy of free fall. The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass.

4. How does the height of the fall impact the kinetic energy of free fall?

The height of the fall does not directly impact the kinetic energy of free fall. However, a higher starting point will result in a higher velocity, which in turn will result in a higher kinetic energy.

5. Can the kinetic energy of free fall be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy of free fall can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This conversion usually occurs when the object comes to a stop upon hitting the ground.

Back