Kinetic energy, work pirnciple. (?)

In summary, a baseball weighing 140g and traveling at a speed of 32m/s causes a fielder's glove to move backward by 25cm when caught. To determine the average force exerted by the ball on the glove, one can use the formula w = f*d and take into account the kinetic energy of the ball and equations of motion. This approach will yield the same answer as using the formula f = d/w.
heelp
a base ball (m= 140g) traveling 32m/s moves a fielder's glove backward 25cm when the ball is caught. What was the average force exerted by the ball on the glove?

since w=f||d would it make sense if the average force is f= d/w
I know force =ma but I don't see how to apply it in this problem. I also know that work =m *h* g. but these informations doesn't help me.

you heelp would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the kinetic energy of the ball would be a handy piece of information?

The ball decelerated to rest over a distance of 25cm. It's plain old equations of motion.

Edit: Just noticed the title of this thread. You'll get the same answer if you use kinetic energy and w = f*d.

Last edited:

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the work principle?

The work principle, also known as the work-energy principle, states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of that object.

Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, heat, or light, through processes such as friction or collisions.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and mass/velocity?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that an object with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater kinetic energy.