Calculating Change in Kinetic Energy of 0.23kg Object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object with a mass of 0.23kg being acted on by a force of 0.50 N at the origin, resulting in the object ending up at a position of 0.88m. The question is asked about the change in the object's kinetic energy, and after calculations, it is determined that the kinetic energy should have changed by 0.44 J. However, there seems to be a discrepancy with the textbook's answer of 0.89m/s and it is concluded that there may be a typo in the textbook.
brad sue
Hi I have a problem here and I am a little bit confused.

An object of mass 0.23kg is initially at tyhe origin and is acted on by the sole force F=(0.50 N)i. After a certain time, the object is at a position r=(.88m)i.
What is the change in the object's kinetic?

I tried to solve this problem by th equatiom Wnet=K, but I do not get the answer of the textbook. They found .89m/s .Apparently,it v. They did not specify.

Please can youhelp

Thank you for your time
B

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, this makes no sense to me! If the object moves .88 m under a .5 N force, then it has had .44 J of work done on it. It's kinetic energy should have changed by .44 J. If, as you say, that was the sole force then we should have (1/2)(.23 kg) v2= 0.44. that gives v2= 0.88/.23= 3.8 so v= 1.9 m/s.

HallsofIvy said:
Sorry, this makes no sense to me! If the object moves .88 m under a .5 N force, then it has had .44 J of work done on it. It's kinetic energy should have changed by .44 J. If, as you say, that was the sole force then we should have (1/2)(.23 kg) v2= 0.44. that gives v2= 0.88/.23= 3.8 so v= 1.9 m/s.

Yes, I found the same result as you.
I must have a typo in my textbook.
Thank you anyway

B

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. Why is it important to calculate the change in kinetic energy of an object?

Calculating the change in kinetic energy allows us to understand the amount of energy that has been transferred to or from the object. This can help us analyze and predict the behavior of the object and its surroundings.

3. Can the change in kinetic energy of an object be negative?

Yes, the change in kinetic energy of an object can be negative if the object is losing speed or coming to a stop. This indicates that energy is being transferred away from the object.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as either the mass or velocity increases, the kinetic energy will also increase.

5. How can we use the calculated change in kinetic energy to make predictions?

By knowing the change in kinetic energy of an object, we can predict how its motion will be affected. For example, if the change in kinetic energy is negative, we can predict that the object will slow down or come to a stop. If the change is positive, we can predict that the object will speed up or gain energy.