Kinetic Friction H E L P

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of kinetic friction for a mass sliding down an inclined slide. The given information includes the mass, speed, distances, and angle of the slide. The formula used is mu_k=(-1/2*(V_i^2)-1/2*(g*h))/(g*S_total), but there is uncertainty about its accuracy. The conversation suggests rechecking the formula and calculations, as well as using the information of the inclined plane in the equation.
songokou77
When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 1.89 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.85 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.25 m and the angle theta = 37.7 degrees. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Well i kinda found a formula for this by changing the conservatiion of energy(K_f+U_f=K_i+U_i+W_nc).

The formula is mu_k=(-1/2*(V_i^2)-1/2*(g*h))/(g*S_total),

But I still don't get the right answer am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think again:
You haven't used the information that you are on an INCLINED plane!

I used the incline plane to figure out h=Ssin37.7=0.26

It's still wrong, you've used a frictional force: [tex]\mu{mg}[/tex]
This is incorrect.
In addition, your signs are messed up

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic bumps and irregularities on the surfaces that interact with each other.

How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction because it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and start an object moving.

What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the two surfaces together. It also depends on the speed and direction of the motion.

How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction can be measured using a device called a friction tester, which measures the force required to keep an object moving at a constant speed on a surface. The unit of measurement for kinetic friction is the Newton (N).

How can we reduce the effects of kinetic friction?

One way to reduce the effects of kinetic friction is by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface for the object to slide on. Another way is by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, which means they have less resistance to motion.