Kinetic Friction of pushed box

In summary, a box of books weighing 325N is pushed with a force of 425N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2o below the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the box and the floor can be found by setting the horizontal component of the force equal to the weight and the vertical component multiplied by the coefficient of friction. This can be determined by drawing a force diagram and using the fact that the box moves at a constant velocity.
physicsphail
A box of books weighing 325N moves with a constant velocity across the floor when it is pushed with a force with 425N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2o below the horizontal. Find uk between the box and the floor.

Please help me I have a test soon and I'm not exactly understanding how to solve that. I skipped a few classes because I traveled for a volleyball tournament.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsphail said:
A box of books weighing 325N moves with a constant velocity across the floor when it is pushed with a force with 425N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2o below the horizontal. Find uk between the box and the floor.

Please help me I have a test soon and I'm not exactly understanding how to solve that. I skipped a few classes because I traveled for a volleyball tournament.

Welcome to PF.

Draw a force diagram.

Your box exerts a downward force on the floor.

The force at 35.2° has 2 components - 1 is horizontal and the other is vertical down.

It moves at constant velocity so there is no net force horizontally. The horizontal component of the force is equal then to the weight down and the component down both multiplied by the coefficient of friction.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of kinetic friction. Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It is dependent on the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk), which is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact.

To solve this problem, we need to use the formula for calculating kinetic friction:

Fk = uk * N

Where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, uk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force (perpendicular force) exerted by the surface on the object.

In this scenario, the normal force is equal to the weight of the box, which is 325N. The force pushing the box is 425N at an angle of 35.2o below the horizontal. To find the horizontal component of this force, we can use trigonometry:

Fh = 425N * cos(35.2o) = 347.6N

Now, we can plug in the values into our formula:

Fk = uk * N
347.6N = uk * 325N

Solving for uk, we get:

uk = 347.6N / 325N = 1.07

Therefore, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 1.07. This means that the surfaces in contact are quite rough, causing a high amount of friction that opposes the motion of the box. To reduce this friction, we can try using a lubricant or smoothing out the surfaces. I hope this helps with your understanding and preparation for your test. Good luck!

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It arises due to the microscopic irregularities present on the surfaces of the two objects.

What factors affect the kinetic friction of a pushed box?

The kinetic friction of a pushed box is affected by the mass of the box, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it is being pushed on, and the force applied to the box.

How is the coefficient of friction determined for a pushed box?

The coefficient of friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep the box in motion and dividing it by the normal force acting on the box. It can also be calculated using the formula μ = Ff/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, Ff is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

Can the kinetic friction of a pushed box be reduced?

Yes, the kinetic friction of a pushed box can be reduced by using a lubricant between the surfaces or by choosing a smoother surface for the box to slide on. Additionally, reducing the weight of the box or increasing the force applied to the box can also decrease the kinetic friction.

How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction acts on an object in motion, while static friction acts on an object at rest. The magnitude of kinetic friction is generally lower than static friction and it remains constant as long as the object is in motion, while static friction increases as the force applied to the object increases.