Kinetic Friction Problem Needs Help

In summary: That gives your value for the acceleration of the truck. Distance traveled is 1/2at^2 = 1/2(5)(3)^2 = 22.5 meters.In summary, the problem involves a truck traveling at constant acceleration with a box of mass 80kg in the bed. The kinetic friction between the bed and the box is 0.5. After 3 seconds, the box falls off the back of the truck. When solving for the distance traveled by the box, a value of 22.5 meters was obtained, which is much higher than the given multiple choice answers. However, after further analysis, it appears that the mass of the box is not needed to
Drstevebrule
Kinetic Friction Problem Needs Help!

Homework Statement

A truck is traveling at constant acceleration. A box of mass 80kg rests in the bed of the truck. The Kinetic Friction between the bed and the box is 0.5. After traveling for 3 seconds the box falls off the back of the truck, what is the distance the box traveled?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F friction = Uk(Mg)
Kinematic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

a=Ukg

a=.5(10)

a=5

D=.5(at^2)
D=.5(45)
D=22.5

Yet this distance, 22.5 meters, isn't even close to 4 multiple choice answers given on the test. The highest distance being 5 meters... what am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see anything wrong with your analysis. If you were also given the acceleration of the truck, then you could calculate the distance the box slides relative to the truck and maybe that would come out less than 5 m. But you aren't given the truck's acceleration, so that can't be it. I don't know. I'm sure you've checked that you haven't misread any of the data given in the problem.

Comments from anyone else?

Looks right to me. I mean I also get 22.5m.

Yes I agree with both of your comments and thank you for posting. My friend took the MCAT this week and he called me after and relayed this problem to me, so I cannot verify that he wasn't mistaken about some of the variables given. He said that he also came to the answer of 22.5 meters but that the answer choices were much lower. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that he has confused some of the information in the problem or somehow missed something, because with being given 80kg, constant acceleration, .5 coefficient of friction, and 3 seconds, everyone that I have spoken to is getting the same answer.

I just wanted to post on here and see if maybe I was missing something, something about the constant acceleration of the truck was bugging me and I thought the answer perhaps was linked to that information, but so far everyone has come up with the same result of 22.5 so I am afraid he just confused some information in the problem. Thank you for your time.

Just for info..You don't appear to need to know the mass of the box to solve the problem.

ukmg = ma

Mass cancels.

Related to Kinetic Friction Problem Needs Help

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of an object, and it is always present when an object is in motion.

2. How is the magnitude of kinetic friction determined?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is determined by the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ), which is a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other. It is dependent on the types of materials in contact and is usually experimentally determined.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between the two surfaces, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the velocity of the object and the presence of any lubricants.

4. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object, while static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction is present when an object is in motion, while static friction is present when an object is at rest.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by decreasing the normal force between the two surfaces. Additionally, increasing the velocity of the object can also reduce the magnitude of kinetic friction.