1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Friction ProblemNeed Help

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    Kinetic Friction Problem..Need Help!!

Okay...so I really think I'm doing this right..but the CAPA thing won't take my answer so there has to be something I'm doing wrong.
    The Question is ...
    A 32.0 kg box is being pulled along a horizontal surface by means of a rope that exerts a force of 265 N at an angle of 54.5o above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the surface is 0.330. What is the acceleration of the box?

So I drew my free body diagram and I had the Normal Force and the Weight and cosine of the angle in the y direction and I had the kinetic friction (normal force times kinetic friction coefficient) and weight and sine of the angle in the X direction.

Then I worked it all out and I got
    Fy = may
    Fy = 0
    N - W(cos54.5) = 0
    N - mg(cos54.5) = 0
    N = 32.0kg (9.81 m/s^2)(cos54.5)
    N = 182.3

Fx = max
    -fk + T - w(sin54.5) = max
    T - (N x uk) - mg(sin54.5) = max
    265 - (182.3 x 0.330) - (32kg)(9.81m/s^2)(sin54.5) = 32kg(ax)
    then I solved It all and it worked out to be -1.59 m/s^2
    but its saying its not right..so I'm confused beyond belief now.
    so Please help me .. lol:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2
    Check your trig functions in calculating N.

4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
    I've switched the trig functions around and tried that answer but still nothing. and I'm almost positive I have my trig done right anyways...but thanks.

5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    So you're sure [tex]N - w \cos{54.5} = 0[/tex]?

6. Nov 1, 2006 #5
    well there is no acceleration in the y direction so I guess it would have to be that.

7. Nov 1, 2006 #6
    Look at the x- and y-components of all the forces, and determine what you have.

[tex]\Sigma F_{x} = T_{x} - F_{f}[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = N + T_{y} - mg[/tex]

8. Nov 1, 2006 #7
    Why the cosine? Like I said, rethink your trig.

9. Nov 1, 2006 #8
    I didn't think you had to incorporate the tension into the Y direction...isn't it just in the X?

10. Nov 1, 2006 #9
    Re-read the question, and redraw your free body diagram. The surface is horizontal, but the rope is not.

There is certainly a y-component of the tension, and it alleviates some of the normal force.

11. Nov 1, 2006 #10
    okay I'll go do that and hopefully figure this out..thanks

12. Nov 1, 2006 #11
    Okay I just redid it and realized my stupid mistake. I thought that the box was on a slope..but then when I reread it I realized that the box was on a straight horizontal and it was the rope that was on the angle. Thanks a bunch! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?