How Do You Calculate Kinetic Friction and Motion Distance in a Physics Problem?

In summary, an electric motor is used to pull a 125kg box across a floor using a long cable. The tension in the cable is 350N and the box accelerates at 1.2 m/s/s [fwd] for 5.0s. The cable breaks and the box slows down and stops. Using kinematics equations, the coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated to be 0.16. The box travels 15m up to the moment the cable breaks and then travels 11m from the moment the cable breaks until it stops. The final velocity after the cable breaks is 6 m/s.
oMovements

Homework Statement

An electric motor is used to pull a 125kg box across a floor using a long cable. The tension in the cable is 350N and the box accelerates at 1.2 m/s/s [fwd] for 5.0s. The cable breaks and the box slows down and stops
a )Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction. [ans:0.16]
b) How far does the box travel up to the moment the cable breaks? [ans: 15m]
c) How far does the box travel from the moment the cable breaks until it stops? [ans: 11m]

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ft-Fk=ma
350-Fk=(125)(1.2)
Fk=200N

μk=Fk/Fn
=200/(125)(9.8)
μk=0.16

b) D=Vft-1/2at^2
= 0-1/2(-1.2)(5)^2
= 15m

c)

I know my solution for b) is correct. But I don't understand why the Vf is zero when the cable breaks because shouldn't the Vf be zero when the box actually comes to a stop and not when the cable breaks. Assuming I solved b) correct, and Vf = 0 then how would I solve c) when the box actually comes to a stop?

Physics news on Phys.org
oMovements said:
b) D=Vft-1/2at^2
Your formula is a bit off. That should be: D = vi + 1/2at2, where vi is the initial velocity. (But your answer is correct, just the same.)

You'll need a different formula to calculate the distance the box slides after the cable breaks. (Or combine a few formulas.)

Doc Al said:
Your formula is a bit off. That should be: D = vi + 1/2at2, where vi is the initial velocity. (But your answer is correct, just the same.)

You'll need a different formula to calculate the distance the box slides after the cable breaks. (Or combine a few formulas.)

I don't understand why the initial velocity is zero when the cable breaks. Also what formula would I use?

In b), you are considering the time interval from t=0, to t=5.
It is at t=5 the cable breaks, but t=0 determines the initial velocity to be 0

You may, of course, use 0<=t<=5:
[tex]v_{f}=v_{0}+at\to{v_{0}}=v_{f}-at[/tex]
Thus, you can rewrite the standard formula for distance as:
[tex]d=v_{f}t-\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]
rather than:
[tex]d=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

a>0
--
In your solution at b), you made two errors that canceled each other's effects:
You set v_f=0, and a=-1.2
Thus, you got the correct result, but in an incorrect manner.

arildno said:
You may, of course, use 0<=t<=5:
[tex]v_{f}=v_{0}+at\to{v_{0}}=v_{f}-at[/tex]
Thus, you can rewrite the standard formula for distance as:
[tex]d=v_{f}t-\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]
rather than:
[tex]d=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

a>0
--
In your solution at b), you made two errors that canceled each other's effects:
You set v_f=0, and a=-1.2
Thus, you got the correct result, but in an incorrect manner.

Thanks, I understand that. But how would I solve c), would time still be 5s when it comes to a stop?

oMovements said:
Thanks, I understand that. But how would I solve c), would time still be 5s when it comes to a stop?
No, it would not.
You do not strictly need to find it, though, since for the new distance, you have the new initial&final velocities, plus the new acceleration.

arildno said:
No, it would not.
You do not strictly need to find it, though, since for the new distance, you have the new initial&final velocities, plus the new acceleration.

How would I find these new values?

oMovements said:
I don't understand why the initial velocity is zero when the cable breaks.
It's not. The box is moving when the cable breaks. (The final velocity will be zero.)

Also what formula would I use?
Here's a list of standard kinematic formulas: Basic Equations of 1-D Kinematics

oMovements said:
How would I find these new values?
You might ask yourself first:
1. What forces act upon the car just after the cable breaks and beyond?
2. What is the velocity of the car just after the cable breaks (or in that same moment if you like!), and how can you calculate it?
3. What is the velocity of the car when it finally stops?

Likes 1 person
arildno said:
You might ask yourself first:
1. What forces act upon the car just after the cable breaks and beyond?
2. What is the velocity of the car just after the cable breaks (or in that same moment if you like!), and how can you calculate it?
3. What is the velocity of the car when it finally stops?

Since the cable breaks, the net force would become Fk=200N since there is no tension.
a= Fnet/m
= 200/125
a= 1.6 m/s/s

To find the velocity when the cable breaks, I would have to determine the final velocity when t=5 and acceleration is 1.2m/s/s

a = vf-vi/t
1.2 = Vf-0/5
Vf = 6 m/s

This means this would now become the initial velocity after the cable breaks.

So now I have enough information to determine the distance it travels after the cable breaks and comes to a stop.

Vf2=Vi2+2ad
d = Vf2-Vi2 / 2a
= 0-(6)2/2(-1.6)
= -36/-3.2
= 11.25
= 11m
So is this correct? The answer that's given is rounded to 2 significant digits

yup!
:smile:

Related to How Do You Calculate Kinetic Friction and Motion Distance in a Physics Problem?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, whereas static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be put into motion.

3. How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) by the normal force (N), which is the force exerted by the surface on the object.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the type of material of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces, or by using smoother materials for the surfaces in contact.