Calculating Decay Events in Vintage Wine from 1946 using Tritium Kinetics

In summary, the surface water has 5.5 decay events per minute per 100 g of water, with tritium having a half-life of 12.3 years. To check a vintage wine claimed to be from 1946, you can use the formula ln(N/5.5 decay events/min x 100 g) = -(.693/12.3)(61 years) and solve for N.
elitespart
1. surface water contains enough tritium to show 5.5 decays events per minute per 100. g of water. Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years. You are asked to check a vintage wine that is claimed to have been produced in 1946. How many decay events per minute should you expect to observe in 100.g of that wine?

I just need someone to point me in the right direction with this. I calculated k, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the number of decay events/min. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I just do ln(N/5.5 decay events/min x g) = -(.693/12.3)(61 years) and solve for N?

Have you tried? What result are you expecting?

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is a process where an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, such as alpha, beta, or gamma particles, and transforms into a more stable nucleus. This process continues until the nucleus reaches a stable state.

2. What is the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. It is a constant value for each radioactive isotope and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

3. How is the decay rate of a radioactive substance determined?

The decay rate of a radioactive substance is determined by its half-life and the number of atoms present in the sample. The rate of decay remains constant over time, regardless of the initial number of atoms.

4. What factors can affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical environment. It can also be influenced by the type of nucleus and the amount of energy it contains.

5. How is the kinetics of radioactive decay used in scientific research?

The kinetics of radioactive decay is used in various scientific fields, including geology, archaeology, and medicine. It can be used to determine the age of rocks and fossils, trace the movement of fluids in the earth's crust, and diagnose and treat medical conditions such as cancer.