Checking My Understanding of a Magnetic Circuit: Help Appreciated!

In summary: Thanks for the reply! I'll check out Derive. And is it okay if I quote a few lines from your summary for the rest of this post?As I said I know your approach is correct and your equations probably are also except for possible sign mistakes (I'm too lazy to check). And yes, the current is clockwise.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Two parallel rails with negligible resistance are 10.0 cm apart and are connected by a 5.00 resistor. The circuit also contains two metal rods having resistances of R = 10.0Ω and 15.0 Ω sliding along the rails. The rods are pulled to the right at constant speeds 4.00 m/s and 2.00m/s, respectively. A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.0100 T is applied perpendicular to the plane of the rails. Determine the magnitude and direction of the current in the 5.00 Ωresistor
Relevant Equations
I'm not totally sure on this.
So I was checking this question out, and I saw that someone did discuss about a similar question before on this forum here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/did-i-get-it-right-by-coincidence.487088/
Since this is a different question, I would like to ask if anyone here could help me check my equation from my understanding (or at least what I thought), here is the diagram:
1564746167766.png

So applying junction rule,

1564746336360.png

Black arrow = I1
Green arrow = I2
Red arrow = I3
[tex]I1= I2+ I3[/tex]

Now applying the other rule aka the loop rule:

My left loop will be:

[tex]-I1(10) - I3(5) - BLV1 = 0[/tex]

?

My right loop will be:

[tex]I2(15)-I3(5)-BVL2 = 0[/tex]

?

I'm not entirely sure how the loop goes about when there's a magnetic field (only dealt with them in normal circuits), so any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT:
Actually, I see nothing wrong with what you attempted to do but I don't use the KCL law so there may be a sign error or two but otherwise it looks fine. Did you compute I1, I2 & I3?
EDIT2 - I ran the computations and at least if the 15 ohm → ∞ and v2=0 the answer came out right.

Last edited:
rude man said:
EDIT:
Actually, I see nothing wrong with what you attempted to do but I don't use the KCL law so there may be a sign error or two but otherwise it looks fine. Did you compute I1, I2 & I3?
EDIT2 - I ran the computations and at least if the 15 ohm → ∞ and v2=0 the answer came out right.
Sorry, but what do you mean if 15 ohm → ∞ ? Not sure about that. Oh and v2= 2.00m/s

scottdave said:
It is the changing magnetic field which induces a voltage. See this - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html
Yep, I saw the part where faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field will produce voltage, hence EMF=BLV , however, I'm still unclear for the direction. If magnetic field is pointing in and rods are moving to the right, will it mean that the current will go clockwise direction using right hand grip rule? Thanks

jisbon said:
Sorry, but what do you mean if 15 ohm → ∞ ? Not sure about that. Oh and v2= 2.00m/s
I just solved a simpler problem as a quick reality check, with no 15 ohm resistor present. I could do the same for the 10 ohm & then use superposition. So could you. :smile:

jisbon said:
Yep, I saw the part where faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field will produce voltage, hence EMF=BLV , however, I'm still unclear for the direction. If magnetic field is pointing in and rods are moving to the right, will it mean that the current will go clockwise direction using right hand grip rule? Thanks
Use Lenz's law. Which polarity of current applies a resisting force to the motion?

rude man said:
Use Lenz's law. Which polarity of current applies a resisting force to the motion?
I'm assuming the motion refers to the movement of the rods being pulled to the right? So if I use right hand rule , magnetic field points in, force points towards right, current points up (aka clockwise?) and Lenz's law states that an induced electromotive force (emf) always gives rise to a current whose magnetic field opposes the change in original magnetic flux, so current will be anticlockwise?

BTW I suggest use of software to solve your three equations. It turned out surprisingly messy.
Also, I suggest replacing the 5ohm with R1, the 10ohm with R2 and the 15ohm with R3. Makes computation easier and allows you to do dimensional checking which should be part of every problem solving.

rude man said:
BTW I suggest use of software to solve your three equations. It turned out surprisingly messy.
Also, I suggest replacing the 5ohm with R1, the 10ohm with R2 and the 15ohm with R3. Makes computation easier and allows you to do dimensional checking which should be part of every problem solving.
What software are available to use? And is my understanding correct as shown above? Would like to check that. Thanks

jisbon said:
What software are available to use? And is my understanding correct as shown above? Would like to check that. Thanks
As I said I know your approach is correct and your equations probably are also except for possible sign mistakes (I'm too lazy to check). And yes, the current is clockwise.
Software: I use a very antiquated software called Derive, in its original DOS (floppy disc!) version, which means I have to execute on my XP machine. I think MathCad is a modern one but there are dozens out there that can solve simultaneous algebraic equations.

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop in which magnetic flux flows. It is composed of a magnetic material, such as iron, and a source of magnetic energy, such as a magnet or an electric current.

2. Why is it important to check my understanding of a magnetic circuit?

Checking your understanding of a magnetic circuit is important because it allows you to ensure that you have a clear understanding of how magnetic fields and flux behave in a given circuit. This knowledge is crucial for designing and optimizing magnetic circuits for specific purposes, such as in motors, generators, and transformers.

3. How can I check my understanding of a magnetic circuit?

You can check your understanding of a magnetic circuit by solving problems and exercises related to magnetic circuits, conducting experiments, and seeking feedback from experts or peers. It is also helpful to review and understand the fundamental principles and equations governing magnetic circuits.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when checking my understanding of a magnetic circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when checking your understanding of a magnetic circuit include using incorrect equations or assumptions, neglecting important factors such as air gaps or leakage flux, and misinterpreting the direction of magnetic fields and flux. It is important to carefully review your work and seek clarification if needed.

5. How can I improve my understanding of magnetic circuits?

To improve your understanding of magnetic circuits, you can study the fundamental principles and equations, practice solving problems and conducting experiments, and seek guidance from experts or experienced individuals. It is also helpful to stay updated on new developments and advancements in the field of magnetism and magnetic circuits.