1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kittel nearly free electron model

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question refers to Kittel's solid-state physics book.

I just do not understand the 1D example on pages 164-65. So, I understand everything until the line "The wavefunctions at [itex]k = \pm \pi/a[/itex] are not the traveling waves [itex]\exp(i\pi x/a)[/itex] or [itex]\exp(i\pi x/a)[/itex] of free electrons."

Kittel tries to explain, but I just don't understand. Is he saying that they will just bounce back and forth between k = pi/a and k = -pi/a by Bragg reflection? How does he know that!?!?!? PLEASE HELP!!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you don't understand. Isn't he just stating that electrons in a lattice aren't free?
  4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    He is saying that it is only true for wavefunctions at [itex]k = \pm \pi/a[/itex].

genneth, do you have the book? If not then it will be hard to answer this question since I really don't understand like half a page after that and a figure on the previous page.

But thanks for your effort.
  5. Mar 25, 2008 #4
    anyone ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?