1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronecker delta expansion

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    If given δ_ijδ_kk what would the expansion of that be? I thought it was nine but have been told that is incorrect. I know that i=j =1 else zero so I thought that the δ_kk would equal 3 times 3 from the expansion of δ_ij but that isn't the answer

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi cgstu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

In δijδkk, which indices are you summing over? :wink:

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

I guess thats what I am not sure of. I know that if i=j then the delta function =1 else delta =0 so my thinking was

δ11δ11 + δ12δ11 +
    δ13δ11 + δ21δ11 +
    δ22δk11 + δ23δ11 + ...... where only when the indices matched is the entire function = 1

δ11δ11, δ22δ11,
    δ33δ11.... etc

This would give me a total of 9. However, this is incorrect and I do not understand why.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cgstu! :smile:

Nooo …

the "Einstein summation convention" is that only repeated indices are summed over.

In this case, k is repeated (ie, there's two of them!), so you sum over k, but i and j are not repeated, so you don't sum over them, and they'll still be in the final result.

In other words, δijδkk is shorthand for ∑k δijδkk. :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_summation_convention" [Broken] for details. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 5, 2010 #5
    thanks tiny tim,
    so if I understand correctly now the answer should be three?

7. Mar 6, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, δkk = 3, so δijδkk … ? :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook