Kronecker Delta Expansion: What is the Result of δijδkk?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of δ_ijδ_kk and the confusion surrounding the correct answer. The expert clarifies that the Einstein summation convention should be applied and explains that the answer is 3 due to the repeated index k in the expression.
cgstu
If given δ_ijδ_kk what would the expansion of that be? I thought it was nine but have been told that is incorrect. I know that i=j =1 else zero so I thought that the δ_kk would equal 3 times 3 from the expansion of δ_ij but that isn't the answer

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi cgstu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

In δijδkk, which indices are you summing over? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi cgstu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

In δijδkk, which indices are you summing over? :wink:

I guess that's what I am not sure of. I know that if i=j then the delta function =1 else delta =0 so my thinking was

δ11δ11 + δ12δ11 +
δ13δ11 + δ21δ11 +
δ22δk11 + δ23δ11 + ... where only when the indices matched is the entire function = 1

δ11δ11, δ22δ11,
δ33δ11... etc

This would give me a total of 9. However, this is incorrect and I do not understand why.

Hi cgstu! :smile:

Nooo …

the "Einstein summation convention" is that only repeated indices are summed over.

In this case, k is repeated (ie, there's two of them!), so you sum over k, but i and j are not repeated, so you don't sum over them, and they'll still be in the final result.

In other words, δijδkk is shorthand for ∑k δijδkk. :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_summation_convention" for details. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks tiny tim,
so if I understand correctly now the answer should be three?

cgstu said:
thanks tiny tim,
so if I understand correctly now the answer should be three?

No, δkk = 3, so δijδkk … ? :smile:

What is the Kronecker delta expansion?

The Kronecker delta expansion, also known as the Kronecker delta function, is a mathematical function used to represent the identity matrix in linear algebra. It is defined as:

δij = 1 if i = j and δij = 0 if i ≠ j.

What are some applications of Kronecker delta expansion?

Kronecker delta expansion has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in matrix calculations, solving systems of linear equations, and representing discrete probability distributions.

What is the difference between Kronecker delta expansion and the Dirac delta function?

Although they have similar names, the Kronecker delta expansion and the Dirac delta function are distinct mathematical entities. The Kronecker delta expansion is defined on discrete indices, while the Dirac delta function is a continuous function used in calculus and differential equations.

How is Kronecker delta expansion related to the Kronecker product?

The Kronecker delta expansion is closely related to the Kronecker product, as both are used to represent the identity matrix. The Kronecker product is a generalization of the Kronecker delta expansion to matrices, allowing for the creation of larger matrices from smaller ones.

Is the Kronecker delta expansion commutative and associative?

Yes, the Kronecker delta expansion is both commutative and associative. This means that the order in which the Kronecker delta function is applied does not affect the final result, and it can be used in any order in a larger expression.