What is the solubility of Al(OH)3 in 0.0010 M Al(NO3)3?

In summary: Al would be .001 and OH would be .001^3 ?No. When the Al(OH)3 is dissolved it adds to the ions already present in the solution.
dolpho

Homework Statement

The Ksp of Al(OH)3 is 1.0 x 10-33. What is the solubility of Al(OH)3 in 0.0010 M Al(NO3)3? Give your answer using scientific notation and to 2 significant figures (i.e., one decimal place).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve easier questions than this but I'm confused on how the .0010 M Al(NO3)3 will dissociate into and how it will effect the Ksp.

From what I gather AL(NO3)3 will dissociate into 4 ions, AL, and 3(NO3). Since it's at .001 M the 3(NO3) has a value of .003M.

1.8E-33 = (x)(.003) = 6E-31. Which I know isn't even close. The correct answer is 3.3e-11 but I can only guess on how to get that answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dolpho said:
1.8E-33 = (x)(.003)

Not bad, with one important mistake.

Ignoring everything else, how dos the formula for Ksp of Al(OH)3 look like?

Borek said:
Not bad, with one important mistake.

Ignoring everything else, how dos the formula for Ksp of Al(OH)3 look like?

Ksp = ( Al^3+) ( 3OH)^3?

Why do you throw this 3 in every possible place? Apparently you are not sure where it should be, aren't you?

[tex]K_{sp} = [Al^{3+}][OH^-]^3[/tex]

Now, if concentration of dissolved Al(OH) is x, and there were already 0.0010 M of Al3+ present, what are concentrations of both Al3+ and OH-?

Note: it may turn out we will need an additional step, but it will become obvious later.

Borek said:
Why do you throw this 3 in every possible place? Apparently you are not sure where it should be, aren't you?

[tex]K_{sp} = [Al^{3+}][OH^-]^3[/tex]

Now, if concentration of dissolved Al(OH) is x, and there were already 0.0010 M of Al3+ present, what are concentrations of both Al3+ and OH-?

Note: it may turn out we will need an additional step, but it will become obvious later.

Al would be .001 and OH would be .001^3 ?

No. When the Al(OH)3 is dissolved it adds to the ions already present in the solution.

In some cases the difference in the concentration will be negligible, but let's start by getting these things right, we will think about approximations and negligibility later.

What is Ksp?

Ksp, or the solubility product constant, is a measure of the maximum amount of a compound that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature.

How is Ksp calculated?

Ksp is calculated by taking the product of the concentrations of the ions in a saturated solution, each raised to the power of their respective stoichiometric coefficients. This equation is based on the principle of equilibrium.

What factors affect Ksp?

The factors that affect Ksp include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes in the solution. Changes in these factors can affect the solubility of a compound and therefore its Ksp value.

What is the relationship between Ksp and solubility?

Ksp and solubility are directly related, as Ksp is a measure of the maximum amount of a compound that can dissolve in a solvent. A higher Ksp value indicates a higher solubility of the compound.

How is Ksp used in chemistry?

Ksp is used in chemistry to predict the solubility of a compound in a solution. It is also used to determine whether a precipitate will form when two solutions are mixed together. Additionally, Ksp values can be compared to determine the relative solubility of different compounds.