1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L hopital

1. Jun 24, 2007 #1
    Im trying to solve this problem using l'hopital but amm not sure how to do it

X->infinite x^3 * e^(-x^2)

soo this infinite * e^-infinite... but from there im not sure if you can use it to solve this...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2
    you have to put expression as the ratio of two functions first

like this

[tex] \frac{x^3}{e^{x^2}}[/tex]

then you can apply l'hospitale
  4. Jun 24, 2007 #3
    yeah i thought about that but amm not sure how much is e^-infinite
  5. Jun 24, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This question makes no sense.

As ice109 said, apply L'Hospital's rule. Do you know what L'Hospital's rule is? If so, apply it to this question.
  6. Jun 25, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That sounds like you are saying "how infinite is it"! What you mean is "what number is e^-infinite". (Strictly speaking that is also meaningless- you cannot evaluate a function of real numbers "at infinity", you can only take limits at infinity.) You know, I hope, that e^x increases without bound (i.e. "goes to infinity") as x goes to infinity. You should also know that "e^(-x2) MEANS 1/e^(x2). If A goes to infinity, what does 1/A go to?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?