Optimizing Multivariate Function with Lagrange Multiplier Method

In summary, the stationary value of f is $$ f(u,v,w) = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m - \lambda \left( u^2 + v^2 + w^2 - t^2\right)
hawaiifiver

Homework Statement

Find the stationary value of

$$ f(u,v,w) = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m $$

Constraint: $$ u^2 + v^2 + w^2 = t^2 $$

Note: $$ u, v, w > 0 $$. $$ c,d, e, t > 0 $$. $$ m > 0 $$ and is a positive integer.

Homework Equations

I have found the auxiliary function:

$$ F = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m - \lambda ( u^2 + v^2 + w^2 - t^2) $$

and

$$ F_u = \frac{- m c^m}{ u^{m+1}} - 2\lambda u = 0 $$

$$ F_v = \frac{- m d^m}{ v^{m+1}} - 2\lambda v = 0 $$

$$ F_w = \frac{- m e^m}{ w^{m+1}} - 2\lambda w = 0 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Its after this I am having difficult. I don't understand what to do. I assume I have to rearrange the above equations to get $$ u^2, v^2, w^2 $$ and substitute into the constraint, but I can't see how to do that because I get expressions for $$ u^{m + 2} , v^{m+2} , w^{m+2} $$ . Help please.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
hawaiifiver said:

Homework Statement

$$ f(u,v,w) = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m $$

Note: $$ u, v, w > 0 $$. $$ c,d, e, t > 0 $$. $$ m > 0 $$ and is a positive integer.

Homework Equations

$$ F = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m - \lambda ( u^2 + v^2 + w^2 - t^2) $$

and

Okay, that's good. What I would do is switch all of those "[itex]\lambda[/itex]" terms to the right:
[itex]\frac{-m c^m}{u^{m+1}}= 2\lambda u[/itex]
[itex]\frac{-m d^m}{v^{m+1}}= 2\lambda v[/itex]
[itex]\frac{-m d^m}{w^{m+1}}= 2\lambda w[/itex]

(In fact, to find extrema of f with constraint g= constant, I tend to think of the Lagrange multiplier condition as [itex]\nabla f= \lambda \nabla g[/itex] rather than using the "auxiliary function" [itex]f+ \lambda g[/itex]. It gives the same result, of course.)

Now, since a particular value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is not part of the solution start by eliminating [itex]\lambda[/itex] by dividing one equation by another. Dividing the first equation by the second, for example, gives
[tex]\left(\frac{c}{d}\right)^m\left(\frac{v}{u}\right)^{m+1}= \frac{u}{v}[/tex]
which gives
[tex]\left(\frac{v}{u}\right)^{m+2}= \left(\frac{d}{c}\right)^m[/tex]
and similarly for the other equations.

Its after this I am having difficult. I don't understand what to do. I assume I have to rearrange the above equations to get $$ u^2, v^2, w^2 $$ and substitute into the constraint, but I can't see how to do that because I get expressions for $$ u^{m + 2} , v^{m+2} , w^{m+2} $$ . Help please.

hawaiifiver said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

and

You have expressions for [itex] u^{m + 2} , v^{m+2} , w^{m+2}[/itex] in terms of λ. You can take (m+2) roots, to get [itex] u, v, w[/itex]. You can then substitute these expressions into the constraint, to get a single, simple equation for λ. Actually, it is easier to re-write everything in terms of μ = -λ; that will eliminate a lot of minus signs in the equations and solutions.

RGV

Thank you both. I'm understanding this problem now.

What is the Lagrange Multiplier Method?

The Lagrange Multiplier Method is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to one or more constraints. It is named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who first described the method in the late 1700s.

When is the Lagrange Multiplier Method used?

The Lagrange Multiplier Method is used when optimizing a function subject to one or more constraints. It is commonly used in economics, physics, engineering, and other fields where constrained optimization problems arise.

How does the Lagrange Multiplier Method work?

The Lagrange Multiplier Method involves creating a new function, called the Lagrangian, which combines the original optimization function with the constraints using Lagrange multipliers. The critical points of this new function are then found, and the optimal solution can be determined from there.

What are the advantages of using the Lagrange Multiplier Method?

One major advantage of the Lagrange Multiplier Method is that it can be used to solve constrained optimization problems that have no analytical solution. It also provides a general framework for solving a wide range of optimization problems.

Are there any limitations to the Lagrange Multiplier Method?

One limitation of the Lagrange Multiplier Method is that it can only be used for constrained optimization problems with continuous functions and convex constraints. It also requires finding the critical points of the Lagrangian function, which can be computationally intensive for complex problems.