1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange Multiplier Method

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the stationary value of

$$ f(u,v,w) = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m $$

Constraint: $$ u^2 + v^2 + w^2 = t^2 $$

Note: $$ u, v, w > 0 $$. $$ c,d, e, t > 0 $$. $$ m > 0 $$ and is a positive integer.

2. Relevant equations

I have found the auxiliary function:

$$ F = \left( \frac{c}{u} \right)^m + \left( \frac{d}{v} \right)^m + \left( \frac{e}{w} \right)^m - \lambda ( u^2 + v^2 + w^2 - t^2) $$

and

$$ F_u = \frac{- m c^m}{ u^{m+1}} - 2\lambda u = 0 $$

$$ F_v = \frac{- m d^m}{ v^{m+1}} - 2\lambda v = 0 $$

$$ F_w = \frac{- m e^m}{ w^{m+1}} - 2\lambda w = 0 $$

3. The attempt at a solution

Its after this I am having difficult. I don't understand what to do. I assume I have to rearrange the above equations to get $$ u^2, v^2, w^2 $$ and substitute into the constraint, but I can't see how to do that because I get expressions for $$ u^{m + 2} , v^{m+2} , w^{m+2} $$ . Help please.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, that's good. What I would do is switch all of those "[itex]\lambda[/itex]" terms to the right:
    [itex]\frac{-m c^m}{u^{m+1}}= 2\lambda u[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{-m d^m}{v^{m+1}}= 2\lambda v[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{-m d^m}{w^{m+1}}= 2\lambda w[/itex]

(In fact, to find extrema of f with constraint g= constant, I tend to think of the Lagrange multiplier condition as [itex]\nabla f= \lambda \nabla g[/itex] rather than using the "auxiliary function" [itex]f+ \lambda g[/itex]. It gives the same result, of course.)

Now, since a particular value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is not part of the solution start by eliminating [itex]\lambda[/itex] by dividing one equation by another. Dividing the first equation by the second, for example, gives
    [tex]\left(\frac{c}{d}\right)^m\left(\frac{v}{u}\right)^{m+1}= \frac{u}{v}[/tex]
    which gives
    [tex]\left(\frac{v}{u}\right)^{m+2}= \left(\frac{d}{c}\right)^m[/tex]
    and similarly for the other equations.

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have expressions for [itex] u^{m + 2} , v^{m+2} , w^{m+2}[/itex] in terms of λ. You can take (m+2) roots, to get [itex] u, v, w[/itex]. You can then substitute these expressions into the constraint, to get a single, simple equation for λ. Actually, it is easier to re-write everything in terms of μ = -λ; that will eliminate a lot of minus signs in the equations and solutions.

RGV

5. Apr 6, 2012 #4
    Thank you both. I'm understanding this problem now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook