1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multipliers, guidance needed

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x,y) is function who's mixed 2nd order PDE's are equal.

consider k_f:

Untitled.png

determine the points on the graph of the parabloid f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 above the ellipse 3x^2 + 2y^2 = 1 at which k_f is maximised and minimised.

3. The attempt at a solution

is this the langrange equation that I'd use?

[tex]L(x,y,\lambda )=k_{f}(x,y)-\lambda k_{g}(x,y)[/tex]

or maybe it's just:
    [tex]L(x,y,\lambda )=k_{f}(x,y)-\lambda g(x,y)[/tex]

im not sure if I should put the g function (3x^2 + 2y^2 = 1) into the k_f. If I do need to do this, then the algebra is very ugly.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you made an attempt to simplify ##k_f(x,y)## as much as possible before using it in a Lagrangian or anywhere else? Far from ugly, the algebra will be very simple and straightforward.

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3
    my k_f(x,y) is:

[tex]\frac{4}{(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^2}[/tex]

How would you simplify this/the problem? I tried simplifying with wolfram alpha, it doesn't return anything useful.

my k_g(x,y) is:

[tex]\frac{24}{(1+36x^{2}+16y^{2})^2}[/tex]

please, someone help. It's a bit of an emergency.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. Mar 7, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you care about ##k_g##? It has nothing at all to do with the question as originally posed. Also: knowing the form of ##k_f## should allow you to simplify the problem significantly, to get a problem that is much easier than the original one. I cannot say more, without essentially doing the problem for you

6. Mar 7, 2015 #5

ok, then the Lagrange equation we are interested in is:

[tex]L(x,y, \lambda)=\frac{4}{(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^2}- \lambda(3x^{2} + 2y^{2}-1)[/tex]
    what do you mean by form of k_f(x,y)? could you come up with a mini-alternative example to what you mean, I just don't see how you can simplify it, unless this has something unique to do with the problem as opposed to general algebraic manipulation.

7. Mar 7, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so don't simplify it; just solve it as-is. It does work, but takes a bit more effort.

8. Mar 8, 2015 #7
    [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}= (-64x(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{-3}) - 6x\lambda = 0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}= (-64y(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{-3}) - 4y\lambda = 0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}= 1 - 3x^{2}-2y^{2}=0[/itex]

this leads to a contradiction though, using the first and second equation we get:

[itex](\frac{-32}{3}(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{-3}) = \lambda = ((-24)(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{-3})[/itex]

9. Mar 8, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No contradiction; you have just made some fatal errors.

You can write
    [tex] 0= L_x = -Rx - 6x \lambda , \; \text{and} \; 0 = L_y = -Ry - 4 y \lambda [/tex]
    where ##R = 64/(1 + 4x^2+4 y^2)^3##. You have attempted to convert ##-Rx - 6 x \lambda = 0## into ##-R - 6 \lambda = 0## (similarly for ##y##), and you are NOT allowed to do that without some extra conditions.

10. Mar 8, 2015 #9
    1. [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}= (-64x(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{-3}) - 6x\lambda = 0[/itex]

2. [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}= (-64y(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{-3}) - 4y\lambda = 0[/itex]

3. [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}= 1 - 3x^{2}-2y^{2}=0[/itex]

if you get an equation for lambda from the first and second equation without dividing through by any variables you get that (using [itex]\lambda[/itex]):

[itex]\frac{32}{3}xy(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{3} = -24xy(1+4x^{2}+4y^{2})^{3}[/itex]

how am I meant to get a relationship between x and y from the above equation that I can utilize in the third equation?

11. Mar 8, 2015 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For any real ##x,y## we have ##1 + 4 x^2 + 4 y^2 \geq 1 > 0##, so you are allowed to divide it out on both sides, to end up with
    [tex] \frac{32}{3} xy = - 24 xy [/tex]
    What does that tell you?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. Mar 8, 2015 #11
    that x =y = 0, however this cannot be true due to the third equation.

therefore x and y has to take multiple values that satisfy the following relationships:

[itex]\frac{32}{3}xy = -24xy[/itex]

[itex]1 - 3x^{2}-2y^{2}=0[/itex]

going along the right lines?

and thanks for the help so far.

13. Mar 8, 2015 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

14. Mar 8, 2015 #13
    ok, so then x must equal y which must equal zero.

Or perhaps my calculations are wrong...

15. Mar 8, 2015 #14

16. Mar 8, 2015 #15
    someone please help me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted