1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaGrange Multipliers

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the problem of finding the points on the surface [tex]xy+yz+zx=3[/tex] that are closest to the origin.

1) Use the identity [tex](x+y+z)^2=x^2+y^2+z^2+2(xy+yz+zx)[/tex] to prove that [tex]x+y+z[/tex] is not equal to 0 for any point on the given surface.

2) Use the method of Lagrange multipliers to find a system of four equations in [tex]x,y,z[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] whose solutions will give the closest points.

3) Find the points on [tex]xy+yz+zx=3[/tex] that are closest to the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I'm clueless on what to do for the 1st part (although I imagine it's actually something simple), but I think I have the second part down. Problem is, I think I probably need to use the 1st part for the 3rd somehow.

For the second part, I found the system of four equations to be:

[tex]2x=\lambda(y+z)[/tex]
    [tex]2y=\lambda(x+z)[/tex]
    [tex]2z=\lambda(x+y)[/tex]
    [tex]xy+yz+zx=3[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    For part 1: HINT - Use the fact that for any point on the surface xy + yz + xz = 3

For part 3: HINT - Add the left sides of the first three equations and their right sides to make a new equation (then use part 1)

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use the first part, even if you don't know why the first part is true. :tongue:

By the way, part 3 is just a system of equations, solve it the way you normally would. The first part doesn't really affect that -- all ithe first part does is let you make a simplification along the way.

5. Apr 16, 2009 #4
    I feel so stupid, I'm failing at solving this simple system, yet I am pretty sure I know what I'm going to end up with. I'm sure it will be something like [tex] x+y=-z[/tex] that I end up with, because than that would say [tex]x+y+z=0[/tex] which isn't true, which proves that [tex]x=y[/tex].

EDIT: Nevermind, it's solved. I don't know why I was blanking on solving the system.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook