Laplace (IVP): Having Trouble Understanding Solution Manual's Answer

In summary, the Laplace transform can be used to solve initial value problems, such as the given example of y"-2y'+2y=e^(-t) with initial conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=1. By taking the Laplace transform of the whole ODE, the solution can be obtained as L{y}=1/((s-1)^2+1) + 1/((s+1)[(s-1)^2+1]), with the second term coming from the non-homogeneous part of the equation. The inverse Laplace transform can then be taken to obtain the solution y(t).
BobMarly

Homework Statement

Use Laplace Transform to Solve IVP
y"-2y'+2y=e^(-t) y(0)=0 y'(0)=1

Homework Equations

[s^2*L{y}-sy(0)-y'(0)]-[2sL{y}-y(0)]+2L{y}=0 (for Homogeneous eq)

The Attempt at a Solution

Homogeneous Attempt:
L{y}=1/(s^2-2s+2) Not sure if correct

There soluton to this point is:
Y(s)=1/((s-1)^2+1) + 1/((s+1)[(s-1)^2+1])

a) Not sure where second term came from
b) Not sure how to handle the NonHomogeneous part

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to attempt to read something like this that is not in tex (right now). But, why are you trying to solve the homogeneous eq with laplace transforms? Just take the Laplace Transform of the rhs of the ode.

edit:
you didn't multiply all of L{y'} by 2.

Thank you for the comment. But the problem is what it is.
Besides, I'm beginning to like Laplace.
Seems like there are all kinds of possibilities.

Multiply RHS by 2? Not sure I need to?
The homogeneous part seems to be correct, which is the first term.
I think the second term has to do with e^(-t).
If someone could verify/explain I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry - I was busy before. I didn't mean for my post to make me sound like suck an A-Hole, my apologies.

To solve an ODE using laplace, you don't find the solution to the homogeneous and then a particular solution to the inhomogeneous part. Rather, you take the laplace transform of the whole ODE, solve for L{y} and then get the inverse laplace transform of that.
But, your laplace transform of the homogeneous part is correct.

I got a different (well, seemingly different) Laplace transform than your book did. (I think they probably just took the Laplace transform of the whole equation.) However, to get the inverse of my Laplace transform, I had to use "exponential shift" with a couple of hyperbolic functions. Perhaps that is a hint, I don't know.

EDIT:
I use [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] to be the Laplace transform of y.

As for multiplying by 2, you have: [itex](s^2\hat{y}-sy(0)-y'(0))-(2s\hat{y}-y(0))+2 \hat{y}=0[/itex] it should be: [itex](s^2 \hat{y}-sy(0)-y'(0))-(2s\hat{y}-2y(0))+2\hat{y}=0[/itex]. However, it doesn't matter since [itex]y(0)=0[/itex].

Last edited:
WHOOPS! I made a mistake in my work somewhere. I have

EDIT:
I made ANOTHER mistake. OK, so, I can't seem to do simple algebra tonight. Here is what I have:

[tex]\hat{y} = \frac{1}{5}\big( \frac{s+2}{(s-1)^2+1} - \frac{1}{s+1}\big)[/tex]

This is close to what you have as the book's solution. Are you sure you copied correctly? Anyway, my transform is the transform of the whole ODE, which is what your book did as well. (That is, not just the homogeneous part.) Hyperbolic functions aren't part of the solution - my apologies.

You are going to have to play with the numerators to get this to something you can use.

EDIT:
I used the above solution to get the inverse laplace transform, and it satisfied the ODE. Sorry if there was any confusion. I quickly did it the first time, checked my solution, and it worked - then I realized I had made an error. THen I made a type fixing my error. Oh well, sorry if there was confusion.

Last edited:
BobMarly said:

Homework Statement

Use Laplace Transform to Solve IVP
y"-2y'+2y=e^(-t) y(0)=0 y'(0)=1

Homework Equations

[s^2*L{y}-sy(0)-y'(0)]-[2sL{y}-y(0)]+2L{y}=0 (for Homogeneous eq)
This is incorrect but probably just a typo- the middle term should be 2[sL{y}- y(0)]
However, why did you do the homogeneous equation and not include [itex]e^{-t}[/itex]?

If you did your equation would be
[itex]s^2L{y}- 1- 2[sL{y}]+ 2L{y}= \frac{1}{1+ s}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Homogeneous Attempt:
L{y}=1/(s^2-2s+2) Not sure if correct

There soluton to this point is:
Y(s)=1/((s-1)^2+1) + 1/((s+1)[(s-1)^2+1])

a) Not sure where second term came from
b) Not sure how to handle the NonHomogeneous part
That is where the second term came from. Including the nonhomogeneous part, the equation for the Laplace transform becomes
[itex]s^2L- 1- 2sL+ 2y= \frac{1}{1+ s}[/itex]
[itex](s^2- 2s+ 2)L= ((s+1)^2+ 1)L= 1+ \frac{1}{1+ s}= \frac{s+ 2}{s+1}[/itex]
so that
[tex]L= \frac{s+2}{((s+1)^2+ 1)(s+ 1)}[/tex]
Of course,
[tex]\frac{1}{((s+1)^2+ 1}+ \frac{1}{(s+1)((s+1)^2+1)}= \frac{s+1}{((s+1)^2+1)(s+1)}+ \frac{1}{(s+1)((s+1)^2+1)}= \frac{s+ 2}{(s+1)((s+1)^2+ 1)}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
This is incorrect but probably just a typo- the middle term should be 2[sL{y}- y(0)]
However, why did you do the homogeneous equation and not include [itex]e^{-t}[/itex]?

If you did your equation would be
[itex]s^2L{y}- 1- 2[sL{y}]+ 2L{y}= \frac{1}{1+ s}[/itex]

That is where the second term came from. Including the nonhomogeneous part, the equation for the Laplace transform becomes
[itex]s^2L- 1- 2sL+ 2y= \frac{1}{1+ s}[/itex]
[itex](s^2- 2s+ 2)L= ((s+1)^2+ 1)L= 1+ \frac{1}{1+ s}= \frac{s+ 2}{s+1}[/itex]
so that
[tex]L= \frac{s+2}{((s+1)^2+ 1)(s+ 1)}[/tex]
Of course,
[tex]\frac{1}{((s+1)^2+ 1}+ \frac{1}{(s+1)((s+1)^2+1)}= \frac{s+1}{((s+1)^2+1)(s+1)}+ \frac{1}{(s+1)((s+1)^2+1)}= \frac{s+ 2}{(s+1)((s+1)^2+ 1)}[/tex]

Hey! You were able to do this with less than 29 edits! I should take notes.

I would suspect sarcasm- from anyone else!:tongue:

1. What is Laplace (IVP) and why is it important in science?

Laplace (IVP) stands for Laplace transform initial value problem. It is an important mathematical tool used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to solve differential equations by transforming them into algebraic equations, making them easier to solve.

2. What is an initial value problem (IVP) and how is it related to Laplace (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that requires the solution to pass through a certain point (initial value) on the graph. Laplace (IVP) is a method used to solve these types of equations by transforming them into algebraic equations. It is particularly useful for solving IVPs with constant coefficients.

3. Why might someone have trouble understanding the solution manual's answer for Laplace (IVP)?

The solution manual's answer for Laplace (IVP) may be difficult to understand because it involves complex mathematical concepts and techniques. It may also assume prior knowledge of certain mathematical principles and not provide enough explanation for beginners.

4. What are some tips for understanding the solution manual's answer for Laplace (IVP)?

Some tips for understanding the solution manual's answer for Laplace (IVP) include reviewing the basics of Laplace transforms and differential equations, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and practicing with different examples. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or ask for clarification from a teacher or tutor.

5. How can Laplace (IVP) be applied in real-world situations?

Laplace (IVP) can be applied in various real-world situations, such as modeling electrical circuits, analyzing systems with constant coefficients, and solving differential equations that arise in physics and engineering problems. It is a powerful tool for finding solutions to problems that would otherwise be difficult to solve using traditional methods.