Laplace transform ( "find x(t)" though ? )

In summary, the student is trying to find x(t) = L-1[(4e-4s - 3)/(s2 + 6s + 25)]. They are doing this by using the Laplace table and the inverse Laplace transform. They are also trying to use Euler's equation and complex conjugates to simplify the equation.
(-3e3tj/8)[(cos(4t) + sin(4t)j) - 1/(cos(4t) + sin(4t)j)]

I feel more comfortable putting the 'j' after the terms not before them is that bad? Is this it for the -3 term now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:

I feel more comfortable putting the 'j' after the terms not before them is that bad?
Yes, sin(4t)j = sin(4tj) which is obviously not the same as j sin(4t). The j should really always come first, as in j100 instead of 100j. For another example, Euler is always written as ejx = cos(x) + j sin(x).
Is this it for the -3 term now?
No. It's (-3e-3t), not (-3e3t). Then, factor that out from the remaining expression.
Then, what's with the division sign all of a sudden?
You are not translating your -3t term from exponential form to sines and cosines correctly.

I thought I could do that because it was 1/e^-3 (for BOTH denominators), and I thought I could factor both out as just e^3, And then I divided out only one of the Euler relations.. so I can't do that or I did it wrong?

Color_of_Cyan said:
I thought I could do that because it was 1/e^-3 (for BOTH denominators), and I thought I could factor both out as just e^3, And then I divided out only one of the Euler relations.. so I can't do that or I did it wrong?
All wrong.
Look, you have F(s) = A/(s+s1) + B/(s+s2).
What is the inverse transform of F(s) for this?

The transform of F(s) = A/(s+s1) + B/(s+s2)

is Ae-s1(t) + Be-s2(t)

Can I try from post 35 one more time though?:

f(t) = (-3j/[8(e-3t)(e-4jt)]) + (3j/[8(e-3t)(e4jt)])

(1/e-3t)[ (-j3/8(cos(-4t) + jsin(-4t))) + (j3/8(cos(4t) + jsin(4t))) ]

Color_of_Cyan said:
The transform of F(s) = A/(s+s1) + B/(s+s2)

is Ae-s1(t) + Be-s2(t)
No. Don't say "s1(t). Say "s1t" etc. So correct would be
"The inverse transform of F(s) = A/(s+s1) + B/(s+s2)
is Ae-s1t + Be-s2t ... (1)
Can I try from post 35 one more time though?:

f(t) = (-3j/[8(e-3t)(e-4jt)]) + (3j/[8(e-3t)(e4jt)])
This is almost correct. Fix up your parentheses.
(1/e-3t)[ (-j3/8(cos(-4t) + jsin(-4t))) + (j3/8(cos(4t) + jsin(4t))) ]
How did you manage to get (1/e-3t)?
Also, your parentheses don't look right. Too many of them!
Other than that this looks OK now.
So now combine (-j3/8)(cos(-4t) + jsin(-4t)) + (j3/8)(cos(4t) + jsin(4t)) using Euler to come up with a real function of time. In other words, all the j's have to disappear.

Last edited:
Since you are seemingly having a lot of trouble with this complex math maybe you should look at posts 2 and 16 again. It would avoid all the complex math if you do it that way. Let us know if you want this explained to you.

rude man said:
Since you are seemingly having a lot of trouble with this complex math maybe you should look at posts 2 and 16 again. It would avoid all the complex math if you do it that way. Let us know if you want this explained to you.

I have been waiting for the OP to get done with this method to suggest that. But note that I had a typo in post #16 which I can't edit. It should have said complete the square on$$\frac 1 {s^2+6s+25}$$and use that shifting formula.

LCKurtz said:
I have been waiting for the OP to get done with this method to suggest that. But note that I had a typo in post #16 which I can't edit. It should have said complete the square on$$\frac 1 {s^2+6s+25}$$and use that shifting formula.
Hadn't noticed that. Right.

EDIT: If the OP wants to investigate it that way, is it OK with you if I turn him over to you?

Last edited:
rude man said:
I'd be able to make it look better here on the forums if only I knew the way Kurtz posted his fractions (like on post 43 on here)...

$$\frac {1} {e^{-3t}} ( \frac {-j3} {8(cos(-4t) + jsin(-4t))} + \frac {j3} {8(cos(4t) + jsin(4t))})$$

Much better :) And it still looks like a challenge to get rid of all the 'j's (is that even possible?). What did you mean use "Euler"?

LCKurtz said:
You said take the square (s2 + 6s + 9 + 16) and do this?

L-1F(S + a) = e-atL-1F(s)

So is s = (s+3)2 and a = 16?

What do you have for L-1F(s) then?

Don't go anywhere Rude Man!

Color_of_Cyan said:
I'd be able to make it look better here on the forums if only I knew the way Kurtz posted his fractions (like on post 43 on here)...

$$\frac {1} {e^{-3t}} ( \frac {-j3} {8(cos(-4t) + jsin(-4t))} + \frac {j3} {8(cos(4t) + jsin(4t))})$$

Much better :) And it still looks like a challenge to get rid of all the 'j's (is that even possible?). What did you mean use "Euler"?
This is "much better"? It's not. Not at all. It's a disaster!
Euler: ejx = cos(x) + jsin(x)
Please go back to post 41, last part.
I'm going to let LCKurtz guide you thru his approach.

Color_of_Cyan said:
You said take the square (s2 + 6s + 9 + 16) and do this?

L-1F(S + a) = e-atL-1F(s)

So is s = (s+3)2 and a = 16?

What do you have for L-1F(s) then?

Don't go anywhere Rude Man!

You have ##\mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 {(s+3)^2 + 4^2}## so that fraction is ##F(s+3)##. So what does the equation I highlighted in red tell you for this problem?

rude man said:
This is "much better"? It's not. Not at all. It's a disaster!
Euler: ejx = cos(x) + jsin(x)
Please go back to post 41, last part.
I'm going to let LCKurtz guide you thru his approach.
The code works fine for me in Chrome, and I simplified it the way you said before, didn't I? Or was I supposed to simplify the 1/e3 +- 4j out again?

LCKurtz said:
You have ##\mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 {(s+3)^2 + 4^2}## so that fraction is ##F(s+3)##. So what does the equation I highlighted in red tell you for this problem?
Ah, so you use the table as much as possible for wherever it's L-1F(s)?

Because looking back at it, F(s) with b/(s2 + a2) = sin bt

so sin(4t) = L-1 of that ?

Then it's sin(4t)e-4t?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Ah, so you use the table as much as possible for wherever it's L-1F(s)?

Because looking back at it, F(s) with b/(s2 + a2) = sin bt

Those aren't equal. You have ##s## on the left and ##t## on the right.
so sin(4t) = L-1 of that ?

Then it's sin(4t)e-4t?

It's close but you are being very careless. What is ##a##? What is ##b##? You have to match up the table entries exactly with your problem.

CoC, it's often helpful when you can check your working as you proceed to learn from your mistakes, and wolfram alpha is of incalculable value here. A couple of examples apposite to the mathematics you have been using:-

e.g., http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=partial fractions -3/((s+3+i4)(s+3-i4))&x=0&y=0

e.g., http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=inverse Laplace Transform 1/((s+3)^2+4^2)&x=0&y=0
maybe scroll down to alternate forms (for some reason if I use a lower-case "t" in spelling "transform" it doesn't list the explicit "sin" solution.)

Good luck with your studies!

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Those aren't equal. You have ##s## on the left and ##t## on the right.It's close but you are being very careless. What is ##a##? What is ##b##? You have to match up the table entries exactly with your problem.

I rushed that too much and then got too excited, sorry. It seems I can't really use anything else given to me then on the table here yet; on the table only these seem to come close:

sin(Bt) ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: B/(s2 + B2)
cos(Bt) ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: s/(s2 + B2)
e-at :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1/(s + a)
eat :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1/(s - a)
te-at ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1/(s+a)2

Color_of_Cyan said:
I rushed that too much and then got too excited, sorry. It seems I can't really use anything else given to me then on the table here yet; on the table only these seem to come close:

sin(Bt) ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: B/(s2 + B2)
cos(Bt) ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: s/(s2 + B2)
e-at :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1/(s + a)
eat :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1/(s - a)
te-at ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 1/(s+a)2

It doesn't facilitate the discussion for you to just copy the table. I already know what's in the table. Answer the question what is ##a## and what is ##b##. Write down what you are taking the inverse of. Like$$\mathcal L^{-1}(...) =~ ?$$I have to know what you are inversing at any step to show you what your mistakes are.

In the one above a = 4 and b = 1. In other words I can't really figure out how to find that inverse laplace:

L-1[1/((s+3)2 + 42)]

Does this mean s isn't really equal to s+3 in this case then?

Your basic problem is to calculate$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1}\frac 1 {s^2+6s + 25} ={\mathcal L}^{-1} \frac 1 {(s+3)^2+4^2}$$and you have the general formula you can use on your problem$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1} F(s+a) = e^{-at}{\mathcal L}^{-1}F(s)$$
Please quote just this post and answer the following two questions to get started:
1. What is ##a## in your problem?
2. What is ##F(s)## in your problem?

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Your basic problem is to calculate$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1}\frac 1 {s^2+6s + 9} ={\mathcal L}^{-1} \frac 1 {(s+3)^2+4^2}$$and you have the general formula you can use on your problem$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1} F(s+a) = e^{-at}{\mathcal L}^{-1}F(s)$$
Please quote just this post and answer the following two questions to get started:

The closest given property I have that looks like that is L[e-atf(t)] = F(s + a) otherwise I don't have it.

I would say a is either 16 or 4 and F(s) = 1/(s2 + 6s + 9)

LCKurtz said:
Color_of_Cyan said:
The closest given property I have that looks like that is L[e-atf(t)] = F(s + a) otherwise I don't have it.

I would say a is either 16 or 4 and F(s) = 1/(s2 + 6s + 9)

You have$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1} \frac 1 {(s+3)^2+4^2}$$that you are trying to calculate and you have the formula$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1} F(s+a) = e^{-at}{\mathcal L}^{-1}F(s)$$and you think ##a=4## or ##a=16##? If you are going to use that formua don't you have to have$$
F(s+a) = \frac 1 {(s+3)^2+4^2}$$Think again about what ##a## is and what ##F(s)## is in your problem. You have to figure that out to use the right side of the formula.

LCKurtz said:
You have$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1} \frac 1 {(s+3)^2+4^2}$$that you are trying to calculate and you have the formula$$
{\mathcal L}^{-1} F(s+a) = e^{-at}{\mathcal L}^{-1}F(s)$$and you think ##a=4## or ##a=16##? If you are going to use that formua don't you have to have$$
F(s+a) = \frac 1 {(s+3)^2+4^2}$$Think again about what ##a## is and what ##F(s)## is in your problem. You have to figure that out to use the right side of the formula.
Well okay, to review, F(s+a) means whatever F(s+a) is equal to is a function of 2 variables then? (It's like, I need a time machine when reviewing all of this. Or maybe just a better moment to think more about it). All I am doing first is finding the function F(s) then?

I think it is this:

$$ F(s) = \frac {1} {(s^{2} + a^{2})} $$

with a = 4,

That formula was not on my list of properties, but thanks for telling me.

You still don't have it. You have$$F(s+a) = \frac 1 {(s+3)^2 + 16}$$It should be obvious to you that in this setting ##a=3## and$$F(s) = \frac 1 {s^2+16}$$ So the formula gives you$$
\mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 {(s+3)^2 + 16} = e^{-3t}\mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 {s^2 + 16}$$Hopefully you can finish it now with the table. I'm coming very close to violating forum rules by working the whole problem for you.

LCKurtz said:
You still don't have it. You have$$F(s+a) = \frac 1 {(s+3)^2 + 16}$$It should be obvious to you that in this setting ##a=3## and$$F(s) = \frac 1 {s^2+16}$$
Is it only because the 16 was from completing the square (and so it becomes part of the function)? And a is only what you have grouped inside with 's'? It was very confusing.

The only close property I had to the one you gave for that was this

$$ L[e^{-at}f(t)] = F(s + a) $$

Is it really the same thing then? This is important; I do not have any property given that exclusively says 'L-1'

Moving on though. You get the result, but you still have ANOTHER function F(s) to transform? And it seems I still need more than the table (or maybe just more help understanding the notation of it which has been very alien to me); I can't just do: b/(s2 + b2) ---> sin(bt) yet?

Can I say that L-11/(s2 + 16) transforms to 4sin(4t)?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Is it only because the 16 was from completing the square (and so it becomes part of the function)? And a is only what you have grouped inside with 's'? It was very confusing.
It's probably much simpler than you seem to be thinking.

If F(s) = ##\frac{s}{s^2 + 1}## then F(s + 2) = ##\frac{s + 2}{(s + 2)^2 + 1}##
What you need to do is to recognize the basic underlying function F, and what the formulas look like with a variety of horizontal translations. I.e., the difference between F(s) and F(s + a), for example. A lot of the work in working with the tables is to put what you're starting with in a form that matches a row in your table.
Color_of_Cyan said:

Is it really the same thing then? This is important; I do not have any property given that exclusively says 'L-1'

Moving on though. You get the result, but you still have ANOTHER function F(s) to transform? And it seems I still need more than the table (or maybe just more help understanding the notation of it which has been very alien to me); I can't just do: b/(s2 + b2) ---> sin(bt) yet?

Mark44 said:

What you need to do is to recognize the basic underlying function F, and what the formulas look like with a variety of horizontal translations. I.e., the difference between F(s) and F(s + a), for example. A lot of the work in working with the tables is to put what you're starting with in a form that matches a row in your table.
So you don't need to worry about the L-1 then, just as long as it's the same format?

From what Kurtz gave, would I now have 4e-3tsin(4t)?

Color_of_Cyan said:

Every transform formula has a corresponding inverse transform, just like this one.

You can answer that yourself. Is the transform of ##4\sin(4t)## equal to ##\frac 1 {s^2+16}##?

So it's (1/4)(sin(4t)) then? I don't think I can be 100% sure of the way the transform notation (or algebra) works just yet.

Mark44 said:
Color_of_Cyan said:
So you don't need to worry about the L-1 then, just as long as it's the same format?
I wasn't doing anything with Laplace transforms or inverses. I was trying to help you see the algebra of what's going on, apart from the business of taking a Laplace transform.

Color_of_Cyan said:
So it's (1/4)(sin(4t)) then? I don't think I can be 100% sure of the way the transform notation (or algebra) works just yet.
That's pretty evident.

Both the Laplace transform and its inverse are linear in the sense that ##\mathcal{L}[k f(t)] = k\mathcal{L}[f(t)]##, where k is a constant. In other words, you can bring constants in or out.

Mark44 said:
That's pretty evident.

Both the Laplace transform and its inverse are linear in the sense that ##\mathcal{L}[k f(t)] = k\mathcal{L}[f(t)]##, where k is a constant. In other words, you can bring constants in or out.
What do you mean by 'that'? That I'm really bad at this or that it's really (1/4)sin(4t)? :(

So what am I to do with the (1/4)e-3tsin(4t) now?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Maybe some practice would help this stuff gel.

Exercise 1. Here's a function in the time domain: ##f(t) = e^{-2t}##
Write a mathematical equation that shows the work for finding the Laplace transform of this function. I.e., find F(s).

Exercise 2. Here's a function in the s domain (AKA the frequency domain, I believe it's called): ##F(s) = \frac{8}{s^2 + 4}##
Write a mathematical equation that shows the work for finding the inverse Laplace transform of this function. I.e., find f(t).

Be sure to include the symbols ##\mathcal{L}## and ##\mathcal{L}^{-1}## where appropriate.

Color_of_Cyan said:
What do you mean by 'that'? That I'm really bad at this or that it's really (1/4)sin(4t)? :(

It would help us if you wrote complete mathematical statements. Is what really (1/4)sin(4t)?

Color_of_Cyan said:

You started with the problem$$
\mathcal L^{-1}\frac{4e^{-4s}-3}{s^2+6s+25}$$You have finally got the inverse of the$$
\frac 1 {s^2+6s+25}$$Now you have to figure out how the ##4e^{-4s}## and the ##-3## affect the answer. This is getting confusing so I'm going to let Mark take it from here.

Mark44 said:
Maybe some practice would help this stuff gel.

Exercise 1. Here's a function in the time domain: ##f(t) = e^{-2t}##
Write a mathematical equation that shows the work for finding the Laplace transform of this function. I.e., find F(s).

Be sure to include the symbols ##\mathcal{L}## and ##\mathcal{L}^{-1}## where appropriate.

Given property: e-at (in t domain) = 1/(s+a) (in s-domain).

NOT given: ke-at (in t domain) = k/(s+a) (in s-domain), where k is a constant.

L1[ke-at] = 1/(s+a)

f(t) = e-2t

k = 1, a = -2, --> f(s) = 1/(s - 2)

Mark44 said:
Exercise 2. Here's a function in the s domain (AKA the frequency domain, I believe it's called): ##F(s) = \frac{8}{s^2 + 4}##
Write a mathematical equation that shows the work for finding the inverse Laplace transform of this function. I.e., find f(t).

Given property: sin(bt) (in t domain) = b/(s2+b2) (in s-domain).

NOT given: ksin(bt) (in t domain) = kb/(s2+b2) (in s-domain)., where k is a constant.

f(s) = 8/(s2 + 4);

L-1[kb/(s2+b2)] = ksin(bt)

a = 4, k = (1/2)

---> f(t) = (1/2)sin(4t)
LCKurtz said:
You started with the problem$$
\mathcal L^{-1}\frac{4e^{-4s}-3}{s^2+6s+25}$$You have finally got the inverse of the$$
\frac 1 {s^2+6s+25}$$Now you have to figure out how the ##4e^{-4s}## and the ##-3## affect the answer. This is getting confusing so I'm going to let Mark take it from here.
You couldn't just start off with the entire numerator first? I was thinking about it, so how should I start with that? Cya though, thanks.

<h2>1. What is a Laplace transform?</h2><p>A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.</p><h2>2. How is a Laplace transform calculated?</h2><p>A Laplace transform is calculated by integrating a function of time multiplied by an exponential function with a complex frequency. The result is a function of complex frequency, which can then be used to analyze the original function in the frequency domain.</p><h2>3. What is the purpose of finding x(t) using a Laplace transform?</h2><p>Finding x(t) using a Laplace transform allows us to analyze a function in the frequency domain, which can provide insight into the behavior and stability of a system. It also allows us to solve differential equations, which are commonly used in many scientific and engineering applications.</p><h2>4. What types of functions can be transformed using a Laplace transform?</h2><p>A Laplace transform can be applied to a wide range of functions, including exponential, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. However, it is most commonly used for functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities.</p><h2>5. Can a Laplace transform be inverted to find the original function?</h2><p>Yes, a Laplace transform can be inverted to find the original function. This is known as the inverse Laplace transform and is calculated using a similar integration process as the Laplace transform. However, the inverse Laplace transform may not always exist for certain functions or may require additional techniques to solve.</p>

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. How is a Laplace transform calculated?

A Laplace transform is calculated by integrating a function of time multiplied by an exponential function with a complex frequency. The result is a function of complex frequency, which can then be used to analyze the original function in the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of finding x(t) using a Laplace transform?

Finding x(t) using a Laplace transform allows us to analyze a function in the frequency domain, which can provide insight into the behavior and stability of a system. It also allows us to solve differential equations, which are commonly used in many scientific and engineering applications.

4. What types of functions can be transformed using a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform can be applied to a wide range of functions, including exponential, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. However, it is most commonly used for functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities.

5. Can a Laplace transform be inverted to find the original function?

Yes, a Laplace transform can be inverted to find the original function. This is known as the inverse Laplace transform and is calculated using a similar integration process as the Laplace transform. However, the inverse Laplace transform may not always exist for certain functions or may require additional techniques to solve.