Laplace Transformation Question

In summary: Examining the resulting transform, it can be seen that the y(s) term has an error function component.
Applejacks

Homework Statement

Use Laplace transformations to solve:
Y''+tY'+2Y=0, Y(0)=0, Y'(0)=1

Homework Equations

Y''==>[itex]s^{2}[/itex]y-sY(0)-Y'(0)=[itex]s^{2}[/itex]y-1
tY'==>-(y+sy')
2Y==>2y

The Attempt at a Solution

The question felt pretty straightforward till I hit a rock.[itex]s^{2}[/itex]y-1+y-sy'=0

y'=[itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex](y([itex]s^{2}[/itex]+1)-1)

My problem is that I can't integrate this because of the -1. What to do? Am I on the right track?

(First time using these forums and symbols so give me a sec to fix them up. Not sure why the S is coming out weird.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Applejacks,

I verified your calculations, and I think you are on the right track. The [itex]-1[/itex] does indeed preclude the use of separation of variables to solve the ODE for [itex]y(s)[/itex]. If I put that ODE into Maple I get a complicated expression involving the error function, so it does not look like there's an easy way; maybe you could look up the integral in, for example, Abramowitz and Stegun.

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S. According to Maple the solution of your ODE with boundary conditions is [tex]Y(t)=t \exp{(-t^2/2)}.[/tex]

Rearranging terms a little, you get
[tex]sy' - (s^2+1)y = -1[/tex]which is a first-order differential equation. I'd try solving it using an integrating factor.

Hi,

Indeed, vela, I had forgotten about that technique. Upon investigation I find that it does not make the problem much easier, however. By using the integrating factor technique, I recast the first-order ODE for [itex]y(s)[/itex] into the following form: [tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{1}{s}\exp{\left(-\frac{s^2}{2}\right)}y(s)\right)=-\frac{1}{s}\exp{\left(-\frac{s^2}{2}\right)}.[/tex] Integrating this equation requires integration of the Gaussian function on the right hand side, which leads to an expression involving an error function (in agreement with the Maple output I mentioned earlier).

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S. That the expression for [itex]y(s)[/itex] contains an error function can also be seen by taking the Laplace transform of the known solution [itex]Y(t)=t\exp(-t^2/2)[/itex] that I posted earlier.

Related to Laplace Transformation Question

1. What is Laplace Transformation and why is it used?

Laplace Transformation is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other sciences to solve differential equations, analyze systems, and study their behavior over time.

2. How is Laplace Transformation performed?

Laplace Transformation is performed by taking the integral of a function multiplied by an exponential term, with a variable s representing the complex frequency. This integral can be solved using various methods, such as partial fraction decomposition and inverse Laplace Transformation.

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transformation?

Laplace Transformation allows for the simplification of complex problems involving differential equations and systems. It also enables the study of systems in the frequency domain, which can provide insights into their stability and response to different inputs.

4. Is Laplace Transformation limited to only linear systems?

No, Laplace Transformation can be applied to both linear and nonlinear systems. However, the resulting transformed equations may be more complex for nonlinear systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Laplace Transformation?

Yes, Laplace Transformation is widely used in various fields such as control systems, signal processing, electronic circuits, and mechanical systems. It is also used in the analysis of financial data and in the study of biological systems.