Laptop monitor mysteriously will not come on

In summary: Good news; my laptop monitor mysteriously came back on; Bad news, there is absolutely no sound output. I clicked on the sound icon on the right side of my computer and the indicators that the sound was not muted was on. Should I resinstall the driver for sound? Is the reinstallation process free? Its a thinkpadHave you tried the Fn+x options? I have a thinkpad on my knee now:Fn + F2 = lock computerFn + F3 = Turn off monitorFn + F4 = standby/hibernate (depending on your settings)Fn + F5 = WirelessFn + F7 = Switch between external
noblegas
I have a thinkpad laptop. It will not come on. It was working fine with no signs that the monitor will cut off later. Its on a warranty, so I can get it fixed. But I don't want to go through the arduous process of packaging my laptop and waiting for a week until it gets fixed. What do you recommend do to revive the monitor myself?

Computer science news on Phys.org
noblegas said:
I have a thinkpad laptop. It will not come on. It was working fine with no signs that the monitor will cut off later. Its on a warranty, so I can get it fixed. But I don't want to go through the arduous process of packaging my laptop and waiting for a week until it gets fixed. What do you recommend do to revive the monitor myself?

It sounds as though the backlight may not be working. First, if you have one available, try plugging in an external monitor to make sure it's not another problem. My money is on the backlight though.

B. Elliott said:
It sounds as though the backlight may not be working. First, if you have one available, try plugging in an external monitor to make sure it's not another problem. My money is on the backlight though.

Do you think I should hold the fn key down and press up? perhaps my light for my monitor needs to be brighten

noblegas said:
Do you think I should hold the fn key down and press up? perhaps my light for my monitor needs to be brighten

Surprised you haven't tried it yet. Won't hurt anything.

I think even without backlight you should be able to see if LCD tries to display something - try to look at different angles.

Is there ANY possibility that you've got it set for "external monitor"? On my laptop, that's [Fn F8].

Otherwise I think it's pooched. I had that problem on my laptop and had to send it into get a new screen.

DaveC426913 said:
Is there ANY possibility that you've got it set for "external monitor"? On my laptop, that's [Fn F8].

Otherwise I think it's pooched. I had that problem on my laptop and had to send it into get a new screen.

I have a friend who is coming over to take a look inside my laptop monitor because he thinks maybe a wire is loose. You think that would help?

noblegas said:
I have a friend who is coming over to take a look inside my laptop monitor because he thinks maybe a wire is loose. You think that would help?
Certainly.

noblegas said:

This is not a good idea if it is under warranty. You know those "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers? You laptop probably has at least 2 of them that will have to be removed in order to take it apart. After you remove them, you warranty is just about worthless.

How do you know its just your monitor and not the entire thing shutting down? Whats the model number?

Topher925 said:
This is not a good idea if it is under warranty. You know those "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers? You laptop probably has at least 2 of them that will have to be removed in order to take it apart. After you remove them, you warranty is just about worthless.

How do you know its just your monitor and not the entire thing shutting down? Whats the model number?

I got my computer from USAnotebook.com . They designated the warranty to six months, not the company that originally manufactured my computer. Its my monitor because my computer can power up.

noblegas said:
I got my computer from USAnotebook.com . They designated the warranty to six months, not the company that originally manufactured my computer. Its my monitor because my computer can power up.

Good news; my laptop monitor mysteriously came back on; Bad news, there is absolutely no sound output. I clicked on the sound icon on the right side of my computer and the indicators that the sound was not muted was on. Should I resinstall the driver for sound? Is the reinstallation process free? Its a thinkpad

Have you tried the Fn+x options? I have a thinkpad on my knee now:
Fn + F2 = lock computer
Fn + F3 = Turn off monitor
Fn + F4 = standby/hibernate (depending on your settings)
Fn + F5 = Wireless
Fn + F7 = Switch between external/internal monitor
Fn + F8 = Switch between touchpad/trackpoint
Fn + F9 = undock laptop
Fn + F12 = Hibernate
Fn + Home = Increase screen brightness
Fn + End = Decrease screen brightness
Fn + PgUp = Keyboard light
Fn + Space = Zoom screen (decreases screen res)

On top of these there are controls for sound above the F2/F3/F4 - remember that these alter the sound outside of windows so if this is muted no amount of fiddling in windows will fix it.

1. Why is my laptop monitor not turning on?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a drained battery, a faulty power supply, a loose connection, or a hardware failure. The best way to determine the exact cause is to troubleshoot the problem by checking each of these components.

2. How can I fix my laptop monitor if it won't come on?

If the issue is due to a drained battery, simply plug in your laptop and let it charge for a few hours before attempting to turn it on again. If it's a loose connection, make sure all cables are securely plugged in. If the problem persists, it could be a hardware failure, and you may need to take your laptop to a professional for repairs.

3. Can a software issue cause my laptop monitor to not turn on?

Yes, it is possible for a software issue to cause problems with your laptop monitor. It could be due to a corrupted display driver or a system update gone wrong. You can try troubleshooting by starting your laptop in safe mode or rolling back any recent updates that may have caused the issue.

4. Is there a way to prevent my laptop monitor from mysteriously not turning on?

To prevent this issue, make sure you properly shut down your laptop before closing the lid or putting it to sleep. Also, avoid exposing your laptop to extreme temperatures and keep it clean from dust and debris, as these can cause hardware malfunctions.

5. Should I attempt to fix my laptop monitor myself?

If you are not familiar with laptop hardware and troubleshooting, it is best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage to your device. However, if you have experience and knowledge in this area, you can try troubleshooting and fixing the issue yourself. Just make sure to take proper precautions and research the problem thoroughly before attempting any repairs.