Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Laptop Suggestions

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm new here as a member but I've come across a few times to confirm answers on lab reports and so forth.

I am entering Aerospace Engineering next year (it's a full undergraduate program at the university I will be attending), and I was wondering exactly what kind of power I will need.
    I'd like to note that I am very good with computers and can understand computer talk that 90% of the public won't, so don't be shy :biggrin: .

I have a few configurations set, my favourite so far being an HP with an AMD Phenom II quad P920 running at 1.6 GHz (I'm an AMD follower), 4 GB RAM, and a HD 5650 at 1 GB. Wish the hard drive was solid state... I'll probably be putting Linux on my laptop despite its make.

I am very strict on taking notes by hand, but I know I'll probably need a good laptop. I picked a good GPU because I'm a gamer (I know I won't have free time, but for Christmas break and summer, etc), but also because I could configure it to run as a parallel CPU.

So, do I really need all this power, or should I tone it down? Or is this a good range?

Thanks everyone!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    I did up to my masters with a 1.7GHz Pentium Centrino, 1GB RAM , that cost about $600 new from dell. :wink:

Anyways, just get whatever you think you will like, and get ready to start studying hard!
  4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    haha, guess I shouldn't get too much power, but I think this configuration will last me a good 4 years (I'm on a 5 year-old Presario V2000 with a 1.8 GHz Semprom now).

And yes, my head will be in my books non-stop I'm sure : p
  5. Jun 7, 2010 #4
    I think you can get what you need for under 800 bucks, honestly. If you're going to buy a laptop, buy one that is small and light weight. Mine is a big heavy brick, and it's no fun to carry around. Battery doesn't matter, I just plug it into an outlet at or near the desks in lecture.

Use the money you saved for a few flying lessons as a treat (after you get all As).
  6. Jun 7, 2010 #5
    I going for a 15" for sure, and thanks for the pricing suggestion. As a grad gift, I'm enrolled for a PPL :D Sooo excited, and I get to do a flight during lessons. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook