Power Requirements for Aerospace Engineering: What Do I Need?

In summary, the person wants to know what kind of power they will need for a new undergraduate Aerospace Engineering program and is considering an HP with an AMD Phenom II quad P920 running at 1.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and a HD 5650. They also plan to put Linux on their laptop.
Shankovich
Hello everyone, I'm new here as a member but I've come across a few times to confirm answers on lab reports and so forth.

I am entering Aerospace Engineering next year (it's a full undergraduate program at the university I will be attending), and I was wondering exactly what kind of power I will need.
I'd like to note that I am very good with computers and can understand computer talk that 90% of the public won't, so don't be shy :biggrin: .

I have a few configurations set, my favourite so far being an HP with an AMD Phenom II quad P920 running at 1.6 GHz (I'm an AMD follower), 4 GB RAM, and a HD 5650 at 1 GB. Wish the hard drive was solid state... I'll probably be putting Linux on my laptop despite its make.

I am very strict on taking notes by hand, but I know I'll probably need a good laptop. I picked a good GPU because I'm a gamer (I know I won't have free time, but for Christmas break and summer, etc), but also because I could configure it to run as a parallel CPU.

So, do I really need all this power, or should I tone it down? Or is this a good range?

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did up to my masters with a 1.7GHz Pentium Centrino, 1GB RAM , that cost about $600 new from dell. :wink:

Anyways, just get whatever you think you will like, and get ready to start studying hard!

haha, guess I shouldn't get too much power, but I think this configuration will last me a good 4 years (I'm on a 5 year-old Presario V2000 with a 1.8 GHz Semprom now).

And yes, my head will be in my books non-stop I'm sure : p

I think you can get what you need for under 800 bucks, honestly. If you're going to buy a laptop, buy one that is small and light weight. Mine is a big heavy brick, and it's no fun to carry around. Battery doesn't matter, I just plug it into an outlet at or near the desks in lecture.

Use the money you saved for a few flying lessons as a treat (after you get all As).

I going for a 15" for sure, and thanks for the pricing suggestion. As a grad gift, I'm enrolled for a PPL :D Sooo excited, and I get to do a flight during lessons. :)

1. What is the importance of understanding power requirements in aerospace engineering?

Understanding power requirements is crucial in aerospace engineering because it determines the overall performance and functionality of the aircraft. A thorough understanding of power requirements allows engineers to design and develop efficient and reliable power systems for the aircraft.

2. How are power requirements determined in aerospace engineering?

Power requirements are determined by considering the weight, speed, and altitude of the aircraft, as well as the types of systems and components that require power. Factors such as power generation, distribution, storage, and consumption are also taken into account.

3. What are the main sources of power in aerospace engineering?

The main sources of power in aerospace engineering are fuel-powered engines, solar power, and batteries. The choice of power source depends on the specific needs and requirements of the aircraft.

4. What are the challenges involved in meeting power requirements in aerospace engineering?

One of the main challenges in meeting power requirements is achieving a balance between weight and power. The power system must be powerful enough to meet the demands of the aircraft, but not too heavy to affect its performance. Another challenge is ensuring the reliability and safety of the power system.

5. How do advancements in technology impact power requirements in aerospace engineering?

Advancements in technology have greatly impacted power requirements in aerospace engineering. With the development of more efficient and lightweight power sources, aircraft can now travel longer distances at higher speeds. Additionally, advancements in power management systems have allowed for better control and conservation of power, leading to increased efficiency and reduced fuel consumption.