Large deviation principle and Fibonacci sequence

In summary, the Large Deviation Principle is a mathematical theory that describes the behavior of a system when rare events occur. It is often used to analyze the behavior of sequences, such as the Fibonacci sequence, and has many practical applications in various fields, including statistics, finance, and physics. It is also significant in nature, where it helps describe the growth and development of living organisms and natural structures.
dyh

Homework Statement

A>0, B can be any number

Homework Equations

To show that

lim(n->∞) (1/n)log[A((1+sqrt(5))/2)^n +B((1-sqrt(5))/2)^n] = (1+sqrt(5))/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Lhopital's Rule to solve this and got
log((1+sqrt(5))/2)

So, I don't know what is wrong.
If you guys know how to prove this one, please let me know.
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
If you used L'Hopital's principle, how do you still have a logarithm?

Because if I differentiate A*(1+sqrt(5))^n with respect to n

then I would get

A*log(1+sqrt(5))*(1+sqrt(5))^n

1. What is the Large Deviation Principle?

The Large Deviation Principle is a mathematical theory that describes the behavior of a system when the probability of rare events occurring is extremely small. It states that the probability of a rare event is exponentially smaller than the probability of common events.

2. How is the Large Deviation Principle related to the Fibonacci sequence?

The Large Deviation Principle is often used to analyze the behavior of the Fibonacci sequence, which is a mathematical sequence where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. The probability of a rare event in the Fibonacci sequence, such as a large deviation from the expected behavior, can be described using this principle.

3. What is the significance of the Fibonacci sequence in nature?

The Fibonacci sequence is found in many natural phenomena, such as the arrangement of leaves on a stem, the branching of trees, and the growth patterns of many plants. It is also seen in the spiral patterns of seashells and the shape of hurricanes. This sequence helps describe the growth and development of living organisms and natural structures.

4. Can the Large Deviation Principle be applied to other sequences?

Yes, the Large Deviation Principle can be applied to any sequence or system where rare events occur. It has been used to analyze the behavior of various mathematical sequences, such as the Catalan numbers and the Bernoulli numbers, as well as real-world systems, such as stock market fluctuations and weather patterns.

5. How is the Large Deviation Principle used in practical applications?

The Large Deviation Principle has many practical applications, including in statistics, finance, and physics. It is used to analyze and predict rare events in various systems, such as in risk management and predicting extreme weather events. It also has applications in information theory, where it is used to analyze the probability of errors in data transmission and storage.