Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large Scale Structure of Spacetime Study Group

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    Is anyone interested in going through Hawking and Ellis' book by the title above and posting questions and insights? My interest is in singularities in higher dimensional spacetime, and whether there are other ways to achieve singularities (and their zoology) besides large enough mass. I am interested in 4 dimensional hypersurfaces of signature change in 5 or higher dimensional spacetime, where the normal to the surface is not timelike.
    Thanks,
    -Iuval

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2009 #2
    Ask again in Quantum Physics, you'll get a better response to Hawking there.

4. May 30, 2009 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, clejan should not ask again in Quantum Physics. As clejan knows, this book is about classical general relativity, and has nothing to do with quantum theory or Hawking radiation.

5. May 30, 2009 #4
    George is correct.
    -IC

6. May 30, 2009 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I had the time, I would be willing to participate.
    I think such a focused study group on an online forum would be interesting.

Here was one on Differential Forms https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=67268 a while back.
    (I was too busy back then to participate... but I would read some entries every now and then.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook