Laser Audio Transmitter Project Question

In summary, the speaker is attempting a laser audio transmitter project and is confused by the circuit diagram. They have researched transformers and understand that the primary end is 8 ohms and the secondary end is 1K ohms, creating a step up transformer. However, they do not understand why a battery pack is needed to power the laser at the other end and why it is connected in series with the transformer. They also have a question about the logic behind connecting power sources in series or parallel. They mention that the laser requires a DC input modulated with an AC signal.
capcom
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting the laser audio transmitter project. And example of it is found here: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/site.php?postnum=2310

I'm quite new to electrical engineering type work, and am a little confused by why the circuit works the way it does. The diagram is this:

lasertransceiver1.jpg

Now, I read up on transformers, and as I understand it, the primary end is 8 ohms because the number of turns create that resistance. Likewise, the secondary is 1K ohms, so it is a step up transformer. That would be because the voltage coming through the audio jack from my mp3 player would be too low to power a laser pointer.

If that's correct, then I don't understand why at the other end, I need the battery pack to power the laser. I'm guessing that while the transformer provides the correct voltage for the laser, the current is not high enough. Considering this is also right, what I finally can't understand is why the battery is connected in series with the transformer. I thought if you connect two power sources in series, the voltage doubles, and if you connect them in parallel, the current is summed. What is the flaw in my logic here?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read, and hopefully answer my question.

Best wishes,

Capcom

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pointer need a DC input modulated with the AC signal.

1. What is a Laser Audio Transmitter Project?

A Laser Audio Transmitter Project is a scientific project that involves using a laser beam to transmit audio signals over a long distance. It works by converting the audio signals into light waves, which are then transmitted through the laser beam to a receiver that converts the light waves back into audio signals.

2. How does a Laser Audio Transmitter Project work?

A Laser Audio Transmitter Project works by using a laser beam to transmit audio signals. The audio signals are first converted into light waves using a modulator. The light waves then travel through the laser beam to a receiver. The receiver converts the light waves back into audio signals using a photodetector, allowing the audio to be heard.

3. What are the applications of a Laser Audio Transmitter Project?

A Laser Audio Transmitter Project has various applications, including long-distance communication, underwater communication, and military operations. It can also be used for audio surveillance and in situations where traditional radio or wired communication is not feasible.

4. What are the advantages of a Laser Audio Transmitter Project?

One of the main advantages of a Laser Audio Transmitter Project is its ability to transmit audio signals over long distances without the need for physical cables or wires. It also provides a more secure form of communication compared to traditional radio signals, as laser beams can be precisely directed and are less susceptible to interference.

5. What are the potential challenges of a Laser Audio Transmitter Project?

Some potential challenges of a Laser Audio Transmitter Project include the need for precise alignment between the transmitter and receiver, as well as the potential for atmospheric disturbances to disrupt the laser beam. Another challenge is the cost and complexity of the equipment required for the project.