Last question on integration (and i am stuck)

In summary: There's no need to integrate the formula -x^2 + 2x between 0 and 1. The area between the graphs y= x and y= -x^2+ 2x is exactly the area of the bay that is uncovered by water at low tide.
JakePearson
in plan view, the shoreline of a bay may be approximated by a curve f(x) = -x2 + 2x between one headland at x = 0 and another at x = 1km, where (f) is also measured in km. at low tide, the edge of the sea just reaches each headland, following a straight line between them. calculate in km2 the area of the bay uncovered by water at low tide?

does anyone get this ??

because i do not, whatsoever, i would try, but don't know where to start either let alone answer it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a graph of the shore? Do you know what a headland is?

bare with me, i am a diagnosed dyslexic sorry, i know what a head land is, but i can not seem to go anywhere, I am not comprehending this info lol

OK, then have you drawn a graph of the function f(x) = -x2 + 2x?

Also, are you sure about the information you've given in this problem? The graph doesn't show any headland at x = 1 km.

that is what the question says on my sheet mate, I am sure i aint dyslexic and it is the bloody lectures that can't write down questions properly haha

I would assume that the bay curves from (0,0) to (1,1) so the area sought is between the graphs y= x and y= -x^2+ 2x.

[tex]\int_0^2 x-(-x^2+ 2x) dx[/tex]

JakePearson, what is your purpose in telling us in one post that "i am a diagnosed dyslexic" and in the very next "im sure i aint dyslexic". If you are not dyslexic (and if you can spell "dyslexic" you probably aren't!) why tell us that you were diagnosed that way?

I see nothing wrong with the way the problem is given: there is one "headland" that extends to (0,0) and another that only extends to (1,1).

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, draw a graph, and assume that the lecturer meant to say that there was a headland at x = 2 km, (and write this down on your work that you hand in), and then work the problem. Other than the misinformation given, it's pretty straightforward.

Mark44 said:
OK, draw a graph, and assume that the lecturer meant to say that there was a headland at x = 2 km, (and write this down on your work that you hand in), and then work the problem. Other than the misinformation given, it's pretty straightforward.
Why assume that? Is there any reason to think that the line between headlands is the x-axis?

HallsofIvy said:
Why assume that? Is there any reason to think that the line between headlands is the x-axis?
Yes. The graph of y = -x2 + 2x naturally defines a bay with headlands at x = 0 and x = 2. the point at (1, 1) doesn't look much like a headland to me. In fact, it looks like the the point in the bay that is most inland, if that makes any sense.

I believe that there is a good chance that OP's lecturer erred in saying that there is a headland at x = 1.

Here's the graph...

WHy can't we just integrate the formula -x^2 + 2x between 0 and 1?

Attachments

• -x^2 + 2x.JPG
    -x^2 + 2x.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 375

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, identify the function and limits of integration. Then, use integration rules and techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, to find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the limits of integration to find the final answer.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a numeric value as the result. Indefinite integrals do not have limits of integration and give a function as the result, also known as an antiderivative.

4. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. While integration involves finding the area under a curve, differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, integration is the reverse process of differentiation.

5. How can I check if my integration answer is correct?

One way to check if your integration answer is correct is to take the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If the result is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance in checking your answer.