Latex in Private Messages: Issues Viewing?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter HackaB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, Private messages on this platform do not support LaTeX. Any attempts to send equations through private messages will result in an error message. The platform does not have any plans to implement LaTeX in private messages or journals. However, users can still view received LaTeX code by pressing "Quote" and going into preview mode. It is not recommended to install LaTeX directly in private messages as it is not worth the effort.
HackaB
Private messages don't support latex? I sent someone a PM with some latex and it says "LaTeX image cannot be viewed here" or something similar. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
We have no plans to implement LaTeX in either private messages or journals.

- Warren

Write the code and maybe the recipient of the PM will have a tex compiler on his computer and will copy-paste the code you've written.Write it without the opening/closing tags,just plain text,as not to give any error.

I think it's a good decision,Warren.

Daniel.

Okay thanks guys. When I typed the PM up and previewed it before I sent it, all of the equations showed up fine, so I just assumed it would send that way.

Note that you can see received Latex code by pressing "Quote" (reply), and then go into preview mode.
Since this isn't too bothersome, I don't think it is worth it to install Latex directly in the PM mode.

arildno said:
Note that you can see received Latex code by pressing "Quote" (reply), and then go into preview mode.
Since this isn't too bothersome, I don't think it is worth it to install Latex directly in the PM mode.

Thank you! I'll try that.

1. What is Latex in private messages?

Latex in private messages refers to the use of Latex formatting in private messages on messaging platforms or online forums. Latex is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific and mathematical contexts to display complex equations and symbols.

2. Why am I having trouble viewing Latex in private messages?

The most common reason for trouble viewing Latex in private messages is not having a Latex plugin or extension installed on your device. Without the proper plugin, the equations and symbols will not display correctly.

3. How do I fix issues with viewing Latex in private messages?

The best way to fix issues with viewing Latex in private messages is to install a Latex plugin or extension on your device. There are many available for free online, and most messaging platforms or forums will have a recommended plugin to use.

4. Can I view Latex in private messages on my mobile device?

Yes, you can view Latex in private messages on your mobile device as long as you have a compatible plugin or extension installed. Some plugins may have limited functionality on mobile devices, so it is best to check the recommended plugin for your messaging platform or forum.

5. Are there any alternative ways to view Latex in private messages?

Yes, there are alternative ways to view Latex in private messages. Some messaging platforms or forums may have an option to switch to a plain text view, which will display the Latex code instead of the formatted equations and symbols. Additionally, you can copy and paste the Latex code into a Latex editor or online converter to view the equations and symbols in a more readable format.