Finding Laurent Series of 1/sinh(z) Up to z^5 Term

You can also try clearing your browser's cache to see the updated images. In the future, it may be best to post with LaTeX code to avoid this issue.
jjangub

Homework Statement

Find the Laurent series about 0 of 1/sinh up to (and including 0) the z5 term

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since 1/sinh is equal to
(1/z) * (1/(1+(z^2/3!)+(z^4/5!)+(z^6/7!)+...))
So if we work on the second term by dividing 1 by denominator and multiply by 1/z, we get
1/sinhz = 1/z -z/3 + (7z^3/360) - (31z^5/15120)
z is between 0 and pi
This is the answer I got.
Please tell me if I did something wrong.
P.S : And I tried to use LaTeX code for this post over an hour, but I failed.
Why is the old code keep appearing on the screen even though I replaced it with the new code when I see preview post?
Should I post it with LaTex code all the time?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jjangub said:
So if we work on the second term by dividing 1 by denominator and multiply by 1/z
This sounds like a good approach.

z is between 0 and pi
Isn't it valid for all complex z? Anyways, that's a tangential issue.

If you want to make sure you didn't make an arithmetic error, I can think off the top of my head two reasonable ways to check your work:
  1. Plug a value near zero into both 1/sinh(x) and your Laurent series, and see if they are similar
  2. Multiply the Taylor series for sinh(x) and your Laurent series, to see if you get 1 (up to the appropriate order)

jjangub said:
P.S : And I tried to use LaTeX code for this post over an hour, but I failed.
Why is the old code keep appearing on the screen even though I replaced it with the new code when I see preview post?
Should I post it with LaTex code all the time?
Thank you.
There's a bug in the forum that causes previously cached images to appear instead of the revised images. If you refresh the preview page, it should load the new images.

What is the Laurent Series of sinh?

The Laurent Series of sinh is an infinite series representation of the hyperbolic sine function, which is defined as sinh(z) = (e^z - e^(-z))/2. It is named after the French mathematician Pierre Alphonse Laurent.

How is the Laurent Series of sinh different from the Maclaurin Series?

The Maclaurin Series only includes powers of z raised to non-negative integers, while the Laurent Series includes both positive and negative powers of z.

What is the region of convergence for the Laurent Series of sinh?

The region of convergence for the Laurent Series of sinh is the entire complex plane, except for the point z=0. This means that the series converges for all complex numbers except for z=0.

How is the Laurent Series of sinh used in mathematical analysis?

The Laurent Series of sinh is used to approximate the values of the hyperbolic sine function for complex numbers. It is also used in complex analysis to study the behavior of holomorphic functions, as the coefficients of the series reveal important properties of the function.

Can the Laurent Series of sinh be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Laurent Series of sinh can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, such as linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It can also be used to solve partial differential equations in certain cases.