Law of Conservation of Energy of a water heater

In summary, the conversation discusses how much boiling water would be needed to raise the temperature of a bathtub filled with 25 kg of room-temperature water (25 ºC) to body temperature (37 ºC). The calculation for the amount of heat needed is provided, but it is discovered that the wrong temperature was used, leading to an incorrect result. It is then pointed out that the initial temperature of the boiling water should be 100 ºC and the correct equation is provided to calculate the needed amount of boiling water.
quicknote
Imagine that your water heater has broken, but you want to take a bath. You fill your bathtub with 25 kg of room-temperature water (about 25 C). You figure that you can boil water on the stove and pour it into the bath to raise the temperature.
How much boiling water would you need in order to raise the bath to body temperature (about 37C)? Assume that no heat is transferred to the surrounding environment.

I know this is a simple question, but I'm totally stuck.

I calculated the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature to 37C:

q=Cm \Delta{T}
=1*25000*12
=300 000 cal.

Since energy is conserved, I used the the same equation to calculate the mass of the boiling water. The mass just equals 25kg, which is totally wrong.
Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. Exactly what numbers did you plug in, and where? Then someone can probably tell you exactly what you did wrong.

We must assume that the boiling water is at 100 ºC.

When you pour the boiling water at the bathtub, you don't just transfer energy you add water too.

• We want the final temperature of water, [tex]T[/tex] to be: 37 ºC
  • The initial temperature of the water in the bathtube, [tex]T_0[/tex] is 25 ºC.
  • The initial temperature of the boiling water from the stove, [tex]T_s[/tex] is 100 ºC.
  • We know also the mass of water in the bathtube, [tex]m_0[/tex] which is 25 kg.

The heat gained by the water in the bathtube is equal to the heat lost by the boiling water from the stove that was poured.

[tex]Q_{gain} = Q_{lost}[/tex]

[tex]m_0 \times c_{water} \times (T - T_0) = m \times c_{water} \times (T_S - T)[/tex]

[tex]m = \frac{m_0 \times (T - T_0)}{(T_S - T)}[/tex]

I hope I was helpful. :rolleyes:

Thanks PPonte!

Actually your first sentence helped me. I was using the wrong temperature :redface:

quicknote said:
Thanks PPonte!

Actually your first sentence helped me. I was using the wrong temperature :redface:

Anytime! I'm glad I could help. :smile:

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the Law of Conservation of Energy apply to a water heater?

In a water heater, electrical energy is converted into thermal energy to heat the water. The Law of Conservation of Energy ensures that the total amount of energy remains constant, even though the electrical energy is converted into a different form.

3. Can the Law of Conservation of Energy be violated by a water heater?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated by any system, including a water heater. The energy may be transformed or transferred, but it cannot be created or destroyed.

4. How does the Law of Conservation of Energy affect the efficiency of a water heater?

The Law of Conservation of Energy dictates that energy cannot be created or destroyed, so any energy lost during the heating process is still accounted for in the system. This means that a more efficient water heater will convert a higher percentage of the electrical energy into thermal energy, resulting in less energy lost.

5. Is the Law of Conservation of Energy applicable only to water heaters?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy applies to all systems and processes involving energy. It is a fundamental principle of physics and is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems, including water heaters.