1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of Sines for Tension?

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A large chandelier is supported by two ropes. Rope 1 makes a 40 degree angle with the ceiling and has a tension of 150N. Rope two forms a 50 degree angle with the ceiling. What is the tension in rope 2 and what is the mass of the chandelier given the chandelier.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    T-mg = ma
    Law of sines?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So i solved it through the law of sines and got an answer significantly different than what my professor said it should be. I would be interested in knowing why.
    Here is the work:
    150/sin(50) = T2/sin40
    T2 = 150*sin(40)/sin(50)
    T2 = 125.86N whereas the correct answer is 179N.

Then for the mass:
    150*sin(40)+125.86*sin(50) = mg
    m = 19.66kg whereas the correct answer is 23.8kg.

I was wondering why the law of sines did not provide a correct answer in this case, and what different steps I should take to get at the right answer. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    Is there any particular reason you are using the law of sines? Draw a picture, how can you divide the triangle into two right triangles? Once you do this it is simple right angle trigonometry .

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    My apologies, I overcomplicated this problem. Upon drawing a diagram it is obvious Fx = T2cos(50) - 150cos(40). Fy = T2sin50 + 150sin40. Apply second law to Fx and force comes out nicely to 178.8N, plug that into Fy and it is in fact 23.8kg. Thanks for the help :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook