LCR Circuit with Driving Force

In summary, the equation of motion is Vo=q"+R/Lq'+(1/LC)q and the impedance at the resonant frequency is Z=1/iωK(ω). The impedance at very high frequencies (ω>>ωo and ω>>R/L) is unknown.
Blue Kangaroo

Homework Statement

a. express the equation of motion
b derive impedance at the resonant frequency (ω=ωo)
c derive impedance at very high frequencies (ω>>ωo and ω>>R/L)

Homework Equations

Vo=ψ+(R/L)ψ+(1/LC)ψ
Z=(1/iω)K(ω)
K=1/((s-mω2)+ibω)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a was simple, that was the first equation. I don't know how to put dots to signify derivatives though.
For b, since ω=ωo, it will equal (1/LC)0.5, so I think I got it right in the scratch work I uploaded.
For c, I'm not quite sure where to start. Since ω>>ωo, can I just take ωo to be zero and disregard it so that there will be no (1/LC)0.5 term?

Sorry, my handwriting is not the best. I'm quadriplegic, so it's not the easiest thing for me.

Attachments

• Scan1031.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Blue Kangaroo said:
how to put dots to signify derivatives though
I wouldn't know how to do it with the symbol buttons. You could use single quotes and double quotes. For the dots, all I can do is show how to do it using ##\LaTeX## : You type $$ L \ \ddot q + R\ \dot q + \frac {Q}{C}\ q = V_0 $$ and you get
$$ L\ \ddot q + R\ \dot q + \frac {1}{C} \ q = V_0 $$ the equation for a series LCR circuit (which I have to assume your problem statement mentions ? :rolleyes: )
( here is where I stole the notation -- I added the " \ " to get more spacing)

So it looks like your ##\psi## is actually ##q L## ? (did you miss the 'all variables' in part 1 of the template :smile: ? -- gives you the chance to also tell us what m and s and K stand for ...)Next question: are you familiar with complex impedances ? It makes the math a lot easier:
$$Z \equiv {V\over I} = R + j\omega L + {1\over j\omega C}$$and ##|Z|## should give a nice expression for ##\omega_0^2 = {1\over LC}##

The problem never explicitly stated that it was a series circuit. I've uploaded the homework. It's the last problem on the page.

Yes, Ψ should be qL, so the equation is (1/L)Vo=q"+R/Lq'+(1/LC)q

Sorry, Z is impedance, K is compliance and I'm honestly not quite sure what s and b are.

I am not too familiar with complex impedances, but it would probably behoove me to learn.

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    337.1 KB · Views: 235
Blue Kangaroo said:
never explicitly stated that it was a series circuit
But the picture surely does !
Blue Kangaroo said:
K is compliance
I feel somewhat stupid never having heard of that in circuit analysis. You write ##Z=\displaystyle {1\over i\omega}K(\omega)##. Is that its definition ? ##\ \ i\ ## is the currrent, or ##\ i\ ## is something that has ##i^2 = -1## ? ##\ \ i\ ## also appears in the denominator of K ?
Blue Kangaroo said:
not quite sure what s and b are
you also use the symbol ##\ m\ ## ?. I see a lot of similarity with expressions in the link. But not for ##s##...

PS make sure you distinguish between ##\omega## and ##\omega_0## when you write your expressions.

I see, I stand corrected.

That is the equation relating Z and K that we were given in class. I think I found what I was doing wrong though.

So what's the situation now ?

1. What is an LCR circuit with driving force?

An LCR circuit with driving force is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L), capacitor (C), and resistor (R) connected in series or parallel. It also includes an external driving force, typically an alternating current (AC) source, which supplies energy to the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of the LCR circuit with driving force?

The LCR circuit with driving force is used to study the behavior of a circuit with an external driving force. It helps analyze the effects of inductance, capacitance, and resistance on the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.

3. How does the LCR circuit with driving force differ from a regular LCR circuit?

The main difference between the LCR circuit with driving force and a regular LCR circuit is the presence of an external driving force. This driving force adds an extra element to the circuit and affects the behavior of the circuit, making it more complex to analyze.

4. What are the applications of LCR circuit with driving force?

The LCR circuit with driving force has various applications, including in telecommunications, audio equipment, power supplies, and electronic filters. It is also used in research and education to study electrical circuits and their behavior under different conditions.

5. How do you calculate the impedance of an LCR circuit with driving force?

The impedance of an LCR circuit with driving force can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. The impedance is a measure of the total opposition to the flow of current in the circuit, including both resistance and reactance.