Calculating quality factor in a series LCR circuit?

In summary, my tutor's notes say that quality factor is supposed to be 2π (Max. energy stored)/(energy dissipated in one cycle) . However, my try gives a value of R x (C/L)^(1/2) for Q. Max Energy: 0.5 C (V/ωRC)2Energy lost per cycle: V2/2R x 2π/ω...and this gives the correct value for Q.
CrimsonFlash

Homework Statement

My tutor's notes say that quality factor is supposed to be = 2π (Max. energy stored)/(energy dissipated in one cycle) . So for a standard series LCR circuit, he says:
max energy = 0.5 L I2
energy lost per cycle = 0.5 R I2 2π/ω .
..and at resonance he calculates it to be equal to be [tex] \frac{1}{R} \sqrt{L/C} [\tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

However, this is how I tried to do it:
max energy = 0.5 C V2
energy lost per cycle = 0.5 V2 /R x 2π/ω
...and at resonance this gives a quality factor of [tex] R \sqrt{C/L} [\tex]

Erm... what da heck?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Latex...y u no work?

I'll post the answers here :
Q from the 1st bit: 1/R x (L/C)^(1/2)
Q from my try: R x (C/L)^(1/2)

CrimsonFlash said:

Homework Statement

My tutor's notes say that quality factor is supposed to be = 2π (Max. energy stored)/(energy dissipated in one cycle) . So for a standard series LCR circuit, he says:
max energy = 0.5 L I2
energy lost per cycle = 0.5 R I2 2π/ω .
..and at resonance he calculates it to be equal to be [tex] \frac{1}{R} \sqrt{L/C} [\tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

However, this is how I tried to do it:
max energy = 0.5 C V2
energy lost per cycle = 0.5 V2 /R x 2π/ω
...and at resonance this gives a quality factor of [tex] R \sqrt{C/L} [\tex]

Erm... what da heck?

Q = wL/R = 1/wRC, w = 1/sqrt(LC)
Q = 2pi(peak energy stored within one cycle)/(energy dissipated during that cycle.)

Now, about your computation: You are using the wrong V_max across the capacitor to compute max stored energy on the capacitor.

max V across capacitor = V0/wRC if the driving voltage is V0 cos(wt).
What is dissipation in R in terms of V0?

Take it from there.

rude man said:

Q = wL/R = 1/wRC, w = 1/sqrt(LC)
Q = 2pi(peak energy stored within one cycle)/(energy dissipated during that cycle.)

Now, about your computation: You are using the wrong V_max across the capacitor to compute max stored energy on the capacitor.

max V across capacitor = V0/wRC if the driving voltage is V0 cos(wt).
What is dissipation in R in terms of V0?

Take it from there.

Max Energy: 0.5 C (V/ωRC)2
Energy lost per cycle: V2/2R x 2π/ω
...and this gives the correct value for Q.

Thank you.

1. What is the formula for calculating quality factor in a series LCR circuit?

The quality factor (Q) in a series LCR circuit can be calculated using the formula Q = ωL/R, where ω is the angular frequency, L is the inductance, and R is the resistance.

2. How is the quality factor related to the resonant frequency in a series LCR circuit?

The quality factor is inversely proportional to the resonant frequency in a series LCR circuit. This means that as the quality factor increases, the resonant frequency decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the quality factor in a series LCR circuit?

The quality factor is a measure of the efficiency of a series LCR circuit. It indicates how much energy is stored in the circuit relative to the energy dissipated. A higher quality factor means that the circuit is more efficient and has a sharper resonant peak.

4. How does the resistance affect the quality factor in a series LCR circuit?

The resistance has a direct impact on the quality factor in a series LCR circuit. As the resistance increases, the quality factor decreases, which results in a broader resonant peak and a less efficient circuit. Conversely, a lower resistance leads to a higher quality factor and a sharper resonant peak.

5. Can the quality factor in a series LCR circuit be greater than 1?

Yes, the quality factor can be greater than 1 in a series LCR circuit. In fact, a high quality factor (typically above 10) is desirable as it indicates a more efficient circuit with a sharper resonant peak.