1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning curves

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I'm playing in Photoshop with some pictures that I just took. I'm pretty comfortable manipulating histograms with the levels tool, but I couldn't figure out how to fix this one (I was experimenting with spot metering in the photo). So I finally just edited my first photo using curves! W00t! What do you think? Improvement or no? I can't tell now. My judgement gets warped after messing with a picture for too long.

Does anyone else play with curves? I read a little about it when learning levels, but I don't remember how it works. I'm mostly experimenting for fun now. (I'm making a slideshow for a friend. I'm so excited!! :biggrin:)

Edit: Hm, side-by-side comparison is better, methinks.

Original:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Okay, I did a couple more and think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
    [​IMG]

Curves is awesome. :smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2
  4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

What is giving you problems? I like this guy's tutorials. (His photos are gorgeous too.) Can you read the histogram and understand the black, white, and middle-gray points?

5. Jun 15, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

To be honest, I like the first one best. It looks the most natural. Cute, btw...

I need to do a lot with levels and curves with my astrophotos. They come out very dim.

6. Jun 15, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the link -bookmarked- lots of useful stuff in there! I'm not finding anything difficult per se, I've just begun to work with digital images and image manipulation programs, but I have a rough idea of what the histogram represents.

7. Jun 15, 2007 #6
    thats a scary picture, it's like she's staring into my soul.

8. Jun 15, 2007 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Did you learn by reading or doing? I was hoping that I could pick it up fast enough with some careful playing, but I think I'll have to stop and read after all.

Haha, when did you get a soul?

9. Jun 15, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Russ - I like the first one which seems most natural and softer.

10. Jun 16, 2007 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Sorry, russ, I forgot to say thanks for the input. Thanks. :smile: I took you guys' advice and just tried to correct the greenish tint thing. This is the one I ended up with. Haha, this is a lot of my face for one thread.

Original:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Haha, there's a difference between them, really. At least I started using curves, so it wasn't a total loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?