Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning curves

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I'm playing in Photoshop with some pictures that I just took. I'm pretty comfortable manipulating histograms with the levels tool, but I couldn't figure out how to fix this one (I was experimenting with spot metering in the photo). So I finally just edited my first photo using curves! W00t! What do you think? Improvement or no? I can't tell now. My judgement gets warped after messing with a picture for too long.

Does anyone else play with curves? I read a little about it when learning levels, but I don't remember how it works. I'm mostly experimenting for fun now. (I'm making a slideshow for a friend. I'm so excited!! :biggrin:)

Edit: Hm, side-by-side comparison is better, methinks.

Original:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Okay, I did a couple more and think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
    [​IMG]

Curves is awesome. :smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2
  4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

What is giving you problems? I like this guy's tutorials. (His photos are gorgeous too.) Can you read the histogram and understand the black, white, and middle-gray points?

5. Jun 15, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

To be honest, I like the first one best. It looks the most natural. Cute, btw...

I need to do a lot with levels and curves with my astrophotos. They come out very dim.

6. Jun 15, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the link -bookmarked- lots of useful stuff in there! I'm not finding anything difficult per se, I've just begun to work with digital images and image manipulation programs, but I have a rough idea of what the histogram represents.

7. Jun 15, 2007 #6
    thats a scary picture, it's like she's staring into my soul.

8. Jun 15, 2007 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Did you learn by reading or doing? I was hoping that I could pick it up fast enough with some careful playing, but I think I'll have to stop and read after all.

Haha, when did you get a soul?

9. Jun 15, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Russ - I like the first one which seems most natural and softer.

10. Jun 16, 2007 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Sorry, russ, I forgot to say thanks for the input. Thanks. :smile: I took you guys' advice and just tried to correct the greenish tint thing. This is the one I ended up with. Haha, this is a lot of my face for one thread.

Original:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Haha, there's a difference between them, really. At least I started using curves, so it wasn't a total loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?