Length Contraction: Apple Hanging from Tree & Earth

In summary, there is no length contraction between the apple and the earth in the frame of reference of the earth, as well as of the apple.
Hernik
Hello. Apologies, if this is already answered in other threads. Please redirect me, if that is the case.

Imagine an apple hanging from a tree. Will there be length contraction between the apple and the earth in the frame of reference of the earth, as well as of the apple?

All the best, Henrik

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it is better to ask: Will the apple see a length contraction in the direction of the earth, and will the earth see a length contraction in the direction of the apple (although probably rather small)?

"Contraction" implies a difference. In this case, difference with what?

Likes Hernik
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I don't understand. Apple and earth are co-moving, so no difference there. I suppose.

Length contraction is a phenomenon that occurs when comparing measurements made using two inertial reference frames and the object being measured is at rest in one. I don't understand what measurements you are planning on comparing here.

Likes Hernik
Thank you for helping me fraze this better. Maybe this will do: If you pick two different points at the same distance to the earth: A and B, and in A, an apple is placed, in B, nothing, would there be a length contraction between the apple at A and Earth compared to B and Earth? (Assuming Earth to be a perfect sphere).

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Sorry about the spelling, phrase, I meant.

Hernik said:
If you pick two different points at the same distance to the earth: A and B, and in A, an apple is placed, in B, nothing, would there be a length contraction between the apple at A and Earth compared to B and Earth?
No, because you have specified that A and B are both at the same distance from earth.

But I'm still not sure what you're asking.
Are you asking whether the presence of the apple makes a difference? No, as long as the mass of the apple is negligible compared with that of the earth (and if it is not, we open up a whole different can of worms - let's not go there). The distance between the earth and point in space where the apple is will be the same whether the apple is there or not.

There is a different can of worms, in many ways more interesting, involving how we define/measure that distance. If your question involves opening that one.... by all means do so.

Thanks. Well. How to ask a question. I guess, what I am thinking, is along the lines of: I would presume, the apple's presence would enhance the gravitational field slightly between the apple and the earth. And I would further presume that to give rise to a slight spacetime distortion in the area between the apple and the earth. And, that such a spacetime distortion involves a slight length contraction. You say no. I a wrong, right? (edit, spelling)

...mixing up gravitational field and space time distortion. They are the same, so one not giving rise to the other.. sorry. Apart from that, I am still wrong, I understand?

Hernik said:
such a spacetime distortion involves a slight length contraction
Nugatory said:
as long as the mass of the apple is negligible compared with that of the earth (and if it is not, we open up a whole different can of worms - let's not go there

Thanks. Close the thread please.

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when observed from a different frame of reference. This is a consequence of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does length contraction apply to an apple hanging from a tree?

In the case of an apple hanging from a tree, if the apple is moving at a high speed relative to an observer, it will appear shorter in the direction of its motion. This means that the distance between the top and bottom of the apple will be shorter, making it appear squished or flattened.

3. Does length contraction only occur with high speeds?

Yes, length contraction is only noticeable at high speeds, close to the speed of light. At everyday speeds, the effects of length contraction are negligible and cannot be observed.

4. How does length contraction apply to the Earth?

The Earth is constantly in motion, revolving around the sun and rotating on its axis. This means that the Earth is constantly experiencing length contraction, but the effects are too small to be noticeable. However, this phenomenon is taken into account in the calculations of GPS systems, as even small discrepancies can have a significant impact on accuracy.

5. Is length contraction a real physical change in an object?

No, length contraction is a perceived change in an object's length due to relative motion. It is not a physical change in the object itself, but rather a consequence of the observer's frame of reference. The object's actual length remains the same.