Length contraction from two inertial frames

In summary: This is because the reciprocal of x is 1/x. When you have two things that are symmetric with respect to x, they are reciprocal with respect to x. In this particular case, the two observers are symmetric with respect to their proper length.It's the same property, of course. Relativity works both ways. But the problem is how to define the same proper length when when the rod is measured in the two reference frames. When the rod goes from being at rest in one frame to being at rest in the other, how do we know it has the same length? Relativity gives a way to define this.When the rod goes from being at rest in one frame to being at rest in the other
bernhard.rothenstein
R' is an observer from I'. A rod is in a state of rest relative to him. He measures its proper length L(0). An observer R from I measures its Lorentz contracted length L related by
L=L(0)sqrt(1-vv/cc) (1). If we reverse the situation, R measuring the proper length of the rod R' measuring its Lorentz contracted length. Please tell me what is the name of the property that makes that (1) holds in that case as well.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The postulate from special relativity, that any two reference frames moving with constant relative velocity are equivalent?

bernhard.rothenstein said:
R' is an observer from I'. A rod is in a state of rest relative to him. He measures its proper length L(0). An observer R from I measures its Lorentz contracted length L related by
L=L(0)sqrt(1-vv/cc) (1). If we reverse the situation, R measuring the proper length of the rod R' measuring its Lorentz contracted length. Please tell me what is the name of the property that makes that (1) holds in that case as well.
Thanks

By "reverse the situation" do you mean that the rod is now moving with speed v relative to R instead of R'?

Please tell me what is the name of the property that makes that (1) holds in that case as well.
Thanks

It's the same property, of course. Relativity works both ways. But the problem is how to define the same proper length when when the rod is measured in the two reference frames. When the rod goes from being at rest in one frame to being at rest in the other, how do we know it has the same length? Relativity gives a way to define this.

For an interesting related question, see the forum topic titled "special relativity puzzle," which deals with the problem of hopping from one frame to another.

length contraction

HallsofIvy said:
By "reverse the situation" do you mean that the rod is now moving with speed v relative to R instead of R'?

Thanks. Yes. Has the situation something om common with "reciprocity"?

Thanks. Yes. Has the situation something om common with "reciprocity"?

Sorry Bernhard, we weren't answering your question. If you are looking for a general term then, yes, reciprocity describes this type of relationship. Another example of such a relationship is the Golden Rule.:smile:

Personally, I hesitate to use "reciprocity" or "reciprocal"... preferring instead "symmetry" of the inertial observers, followed up by an explicit statement of the symmetry.

Yes, when I see the word "reciprocal", I think of 1/x.

What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in the theory of special relativity where the length of an object appears to be shorter when measured by an observer in motion relative to the object.

How does length contraction occur in two inertial frames?

In two inertial frames, length contraction occurs when an object is moving relative to an observer. The observer will see the object as shorter due to the effects of time dilation and the contraction of space in the direction of motion.

Is length contraction a real physical effect?

Yes, length contraction is a real physical effect that has been observed and verified through experiments. It is an important concept in the theory of special relativity and has significant implications for our understanding of space and time.

What is the formula for calculating length contraction?

The formula for calculating length contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - v^2/c^2), where L is the contracted length, L0 is the rest length of the object, v is the relative velocity between the observer and the object, and c is the speed of light.

Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light, which is not achievable in everyday life. However, it can be observed in particle accelerators and other high-speed experiments.