Length of a Curve Homework: 0-1, 3ti+8t^(3/2)j+12t^2k

In summary, the formula for finding the length of a curve is given by the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the curve with respect to the independent variable. To solve for the length, you need to find the integral and evaluate it using calculus techniques. A calculator can be used to find the length, but the unit of measurement will depend on the units used for the independent variable. Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for finding the length of a curve, but using a calculator or computer program can make the process easier and faster.
Mugen Prospec

Homework Statement

3ti+ 8t[tex]^{(3/2)}[/tex]j + 12t[tex]^{2}[/tex]k

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought you are supposed to take the derivative of all three then square that. those all go into the length formula

My book says answer should be 15 but I am not doing something right. my test is tomorrow, can some one give me a walk through for this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 15. For this problem, the quantity under the radical is a perfect square quadratic. Try factoring the quadratic before taking the square root.

ok I think i got it. thank you

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a curve?

The formula for finding the length of a curve is given by the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the curve with respect to the independent variable. In this case, the formula would be ∫√(1+(3t)^2+(8t^(3/2))^2+(12t^2)^2)dt.

2. How do I solve for the length of a curve?

To solve for the length of a curve, you need to first find the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the curve. Then, you can plug in the limits of integration (usually the starting and ending points of the curve) and evaluate the integral using calculus techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the length of a curve?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the length of a curve. However, you will need to use a graphing calculator or a computer program with a built-in integration function. Simply input the equation for the curve and the limits of integration, and the calculator will give you the numerical value for the length.

4. What is the unit for measuring the length of a curve?

The unit for measuring the length of a curve will depend on the units used for the independent variable in the equation. In this case, if t is measured in seconds, then the length of the curve would be measured in seconds. You can also use unit conversions to change the units to a more appropriate form, such as meters or centimeters.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the length of a curve?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for finding the length of a curve. You will need to use the formula and perform the necessary calculations to find the length. However, using a calculator or computer program can make the process easier and faster.