Lens: object distance vs. image distance?

• Thread starter Seadragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Lens
In summary: The lens equation is 1/s+1/s'=1/f. For a converging lens, 1/s+1/s' = 1/f - 1/s' So s= (1/f - 1/s')^-1. For a diverging lens, 1/s-1/s' = -1/f so s= (1/s'-1/f)^-1.
Seadragon

Homework Statement

An object is at distance s from a thin glass lens of focal length f. The lens is surrounded
by air. The image is at distance s' from the lens. Draw a graph of s' versus s. Explain
physically why the graph varies as it does.

Homework Equations

I think I am supposed to use the thin lens equation of 1/s+1/s'=1/f.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a fixed focal length, an increase in s causes the linearly proportional decrease in s'? As an object is moved farther away from the lens, the image also moves farther away.

I don't understand how this equation is independent from the case of a convex or concave lens.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seadragon said:

Homework Statement

An object is at distance s from a thin glass lens of focal length f. The lens is surrounded
by air. The image is at distance s' from the lens. Draw a graph of s' versus s. Explain
physically why the graph varies as it does.

Homework Equations

I think I am supposed to use the thin lens equation of 1/s+1/s'=1/f.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a fixed focal length, an increase in s causes the linearly proportional decrease in s'? As an object is moved farther away from the lens, the image also moves farther away.

I don't understand how this equation is independent from the case of a convex or concave lens.

Thanks for any help!

What is the difference in f for a convex versus concave lens?

Can you show us your graph?

A diverging lens has a negative focal length and a virtual image. So f and s' are negative.

A converging lens has a positive focal length and a real image. So f and s' are positive.

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f.

Let's say s is the independent variable on my graph:

For a converging lens:

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f

1/s = 1/f - 1/s'

s = (1/f - 1/s')^-1

For a diverging lens:

1/s - 1/s' = -1/f

1/s = 1/s' - 1/f

s = (1/s'-1/f)^-1. I get a different answer for either converging or diverging =(. I think the question suggests that it shouldn't make a difference whether converging or diverging.

I have no idea how I would graph:

y = (1/x - c)^-1 Well, I guess if I say that 1/f=0 then the graph is y=x. But 1/f doesn't equal zero because if it did, there would be no lens.

Am I on the right track?

Seadragon said:
A diverging lens has a negative focal length and a virtual image. So f and s' are negative.

A converging lens has a positive focal length and a real image. So f and s' are positive.

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f.

Let's say s is the independent variable on my graph:

For a converging lens:

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f

1/s = 1/f - 1/s'

s = (1/f - 1/s')^-1

For a diverging lens:

1/s - 1/s' = -1/f

1/s = 1/s' - 1/f

s = (1/s'-1/f)^-1.

I get a different answer for either converging or diverging =(. I think the question suggests that it shouldn't make a difference whether converging or diverging.

I have no idea how I would graph:

y = (1/x - c)^-1

Well, I guess if I say that 1/f=0 then the graph is y=x. But 1/f doesn't equal zero because if it did, there would be no lens.

Am I on the right track?

The easiest way to start with the graph is to just graph a few points for each lens system. Start with the converging lens system, and start with the Object at infinity to the left. Where is the image? Now move the Object into 2*f distance to the left. Where is the Image now? And what happens when you move the Object inside 1*f to the left of the lens?

And do the same thing for the diverging lens. Do the graphs match the equations you've written?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_equation#Lensmaker.27s_equation

The thin lens equation, 1/s+1/s'=1/f, is indeed applicable to both convex and concave lenses. The difference lies in the sign convention used for the distances. For a convex lens, the focal length is positive and the distances are measured from the center of the lens. For a concave lens, the focal length is negative and the distances are measured from the vertex of the lens.

Now, looking at the graph of s' versus s, we can see that as s increases, s' decreases. This is because the image distance is inversely proportional to the object distance. As the object moves farther away, the image distance decreases. This is true for both convex and concave lenses, as long as the object is placed beyond the focal point.

Physically, this can be explained by the way a lens bends light rays. As the object moves away from the lens, the light rays become more parallel, causing the image to form at a closer distance from the lens. This can be seen in the thin lens equation, where as s increases, 1/s decreases, causing 1/s' to also decrease.

In conclusion, the graph of s' versus s varies in a linear fashion due to the inverse relationship between the object and image distances, as described by the thin lens equation.

Related to Lens: object distance vs. image distance?

1. What is the relationship between object distance and image distance in a lens?

The object distance and image distance in a lens are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the object distance increases, the image distance decreases and vice versa.

2. How does changing the object distance affect the size of the image formed by a lens?

Changing the object distance can change the size of the image formed by a lens. If the object distance is increased, the image will appear smaller and if the object distance is decreased, the image will appear larger.

3. What happens to the image distance if the object is placed at the focal point of a lens?

If the object is placed at the focal point of a lens, the image distance will become infinite. This is because the light rays from the object will become parallel and will not converge to form an image.

4. How does the curvature of a lens affect the object and image distance?

The curvature of a lens can affect the object and image distance. A lens with a greater curvature will have a shorter focal length and will require objects to be placed closer to the lens in order to form an image.

5. Can the object and image distance ever be the same in a lens?

No, the object and image distance can never be the same in a lens. This is because the lens is used to refract light rays and create an image, so the light rays must travel different distances in order to form an image.