Let x, where i = 1,2,3,,100 be indepenedent random variables

In summary, having independent random variables in a scenario allows for each variable to have its own probability distribution and outcomes without being influenced by other variables. It is important to specify a range for i when using this notation to accurately represent the data and ensure all variables are accounted for. The independence of random variables can be determined by examining correlation or using mathematical tests such as the Chi-Square test. One example of using independent random variables is in a study on the effects of different exercises on heart rate. However, there are limitations and drawbacks to using independent random variables in research, such as not accurately representing real-life scenarios and potential bias or inaccuracies in results. Careful consideration is necessary when using independent random variables in research.
TomJerry

Question :
Let xi, where i = 1,2,3,..,100 be indepenedent random variables, each with a uniformly distributed over (0,1) . Using the central Limit theorem , obtain the probability
P( <summation> xi > 50)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you tried? What are the mean and standard deviation of the uniform distribution over (0, 1)? What does the central limit theorem say about the distribution of the sum of samples?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, what have you tried? What are the mean and standard deviation of the uniform distribution over (0, 1)? What does the central limit theorem say about the distribution of the sum of samples?

Dont know how to start ...

FAQ: Let x, where i = 1,2,3,,100 be indepenedent random variables

1. What is the significance of having independent random variables in this scenario?

The independence of the random variables allows for each variable to have its own unique probability distribution and outcomes, without being influenced by the other variables. This allows for a more accurate representation of the overall data and can simplify calculations and statistical analysis.

2. Why is it important to specify i = 1,2,3,...,100 in the statement?

This notation indicates that there are 100 independent random variables, each with their own probability distribution. It is important to specify the range of i to accurately represent the data and to ensure that all variables are accounted for in the analysis.

3. How do you determine if the random variables are truly independent?

The independence of random variables can be determined by examining the correlation between the variables. If there is little to no correlation, then the variables can be considered independent. Additionally, mathematical tests such as the Chi-Square test can be used to determine independence.

4. Can you provide an example of a situation where independent random variables would be used?

One example could be a study on the effects of different types of exercise on heart rate. Each participant in the study could be assigned a different type of exercise (i.e. running, weightlifting, swimming) and their heart rate could be measured independently. This would allow for a comparison of the effects of each type of exercise on heart rate without any external factors influencing the results.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using independent random variables in research?

One limitation is that it may not accurately represent real-life scenarios, as most events and variables in the real world are not truly independent. Additionally, if the variables are not chosen carefully, it can lead to biased or inaccurate results. It is important to carefully consider the use of independent random variables and their potential impact on the research findings.

Back