Yes, your calculations are correct.

• Thread starter petuniac
  • Start date
In summary, the dart leaves your hand at an initial velocity of 7 m/s and is accelerating at a rate of -0.3 m/s^2. It takes 0.67 seconds for the dart to hit the target, with a final velocity of 6.8 m/s. The displacement in the y-direction is -2.2 m. The problem is given as part of linear kinematics, but it is actually a projectile motion with a retarding force. The question is poorly worded and does not specify the direction of the given acceleration or the initial velocity, but assuming a horizontal acceleration and no initial angle, the calculations are correct.
petuniac
you are playing darts and are wondering how far the dart is dropping on its journey to the target which is 4 m away. The dart leaves your hand at 7 m/s and is accelerating at a rate of -0.3 m/s^2.

work so far...

find final velocity is x-direction from vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

vf = 6.8 m/s when dart strikes target

find time it takes to hit target from

vf = vi + at

t = 0.67 s

now, find displacement in y-direction from

d = vit + 1/2at^2
d = -2.2 m

is this correct?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks good, the time does not.

It seems like linear kinematics! Really, I would have thought something like this would be projectile motion.

QuantumCrash said:
It seems like linear kinematics! Really, I would have thought something like this would be projectile motion.
It is projectile motion, but with a retarding force. The question is poorly worded because it is not specific about the direction of the given acceleration, or the initial velocity. It clearly does not include the gravitational acceleration in what is given, so the asumption that it is a horizontal acceleration of -0.3m/s^2 is most likely what they expected. Since no initial angle was specified, and they are asking for "dropping" distance, a horizontal initial velocity was likely intended.

thanks for the replies... please see my comments below

1) why does the time not look correct? I re-did the calculation with the same result

vf = vi + at
6.8 = 7 + (-0.3)t
t = (6.8-7)/-0.3
t = 0.67 s

2) this problem was given as part of linear kinematics...

3) so am I doing this correctly??

thanks!

petuniac said:
thanks for the replies... please see my comments below

1) why does the time not look correct? I re-did the calculation with the same result

vf = vi + at
6.8 = 7 + (-0.3)t
t = (6.8-7)/-0.3
t = 0.67 s

2) this problem was given as part of linear kinematics...

3) so am I doing this correctly??

thanks!
You rounded off too much computing the 6.8m/s. The difference between the two velocities is too small to get an accurate time unless you keep more digits. You could of course argue that the problem did not give the initial velocity very accurately, but when they say 7 they really mean 7.00000000000000000000000000000000. You are doing it correctly for the assumptions I outlined earlier. It's really a poorly worded problem. I think you did what was intended.

Related to Yes, your calculations are correct.

1. How can I be sure that my calculations are correct?

One way to ensure accuracy in your calculations is to double check your work and use multiple methods to solve the problem. It's also important to use reliable sources and data in your calculations.

2. What are some common mistakes that can lead to incorrect calculations?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong formula, inputting incorrect data, or making a calculation error. It's important to be careful and pay attention to detail when performing calculations.

3. Is it possible for my calculations to be correct but still have an incorrect conclusion?

Yes, it is possible to have correct calculations but an incorrect conclusion if the assumptions or data used in the calculations are incorrect. It's important to critically evaluate all aspects of your calculations to ensure a logical conclusion.

4. How can I improve my accuracy in calculations?

One way to improve accuracy is to practice regularly and use various methods to solve problems. It's also helpful to seek feedback and guidance from experienced individuals in your field.

5. What should I do if I'm unsure about my calculations?

If you're unsure about your calculations, it's best to seek help from a colleague or supervisor. It's important to address any uncertainties before drawing conclusions or making important decisions based on the calculations.