Level Curves: Homework,

In summary, the conversation involved finding and graphing the level curve f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2-1} that passes through the point (0,1), as well as determining its domain and range. The domain was determined to be (-\infty, -1]\cup[1,\infty) or [1,\infty), and the range was found to be [0,\infty). The graph was also discussed, with x=1 being a vertical line and the domain being \mid x \mid \leq 1. However, there was some confusion about the domain and range, specifically when plugging in x = -1. Overall, the conversation focused on clarifying the
gokugreene
I am trying to find and graph the level curve [tex]f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex] that passes throught the point [tex](0,1)[/tex], as well as its domain and range.

I am not sure if my reasoning is right, so let me know if I got the wrong idea.

For the graph I have [tex]x = 1[/tex] which is independent of y and is just a vertical line. Is this correct?

Would the domain be [tex](-\infty, -1]\cup[1,\infty)[/tex] or [tex][1,\infty)[/tex] ? Because [tex]\sqrt{x^2-1} = \sqrt{x-1}\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]
I'm confused.

Range: [tex][0,\infty)[/tex]

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Update: this a function of two variables

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds correct to me. I just graphed it and it also looks correct, Unless I am missing something.

If we have [tex] y = \sqrt{x^2 - 1}[/tex], then x cannot exist on the real domain for any value: [tex]\mid x \mid \leq 1[/tex]. o_O

I am looking for the domain, range, and graph of this level curve[tex]f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex]

I have the range, but the domain and graph I am unsure of.
For the graph, I graphed on my paper x=1, you plug in one, z = 0 and x = 1 and y can be anything.
Domain: I am unsure of but yes [tex]\mid x \mid \leq 1 [/tex]
But if I plug say x = -1 into [tex]\sqrt{x-1}\sqrt{x+1}[/tex] I am going to get [tex]\sqrt{-2}\sqrt{2}[/tex]

1. What are level curves and how are they used in homework assignments?

Level curves are imaginary lines on a 2D graph that connect points with the same value of a mathematical function. In homework assignments, level curves are often used to visually represent a function's behavior and to solve problems related to the function.

2. How do I determine the equation of a level curve from a given function?

To determine the equation of a level curve, you can set the function equal to a constant value and solve for one variable in terms of the other. This will give you a relationship between the two variables that can be plotted as a level curve on a graph.

3. Can level curves be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, level curves can also be extended to higher dimensions, such as in 3D graphs where they are known as level surfaces. The concept remains the same, where points on the surface have the same value of the function.

4. How do level curves relate to contour maps?

Level curves are essentially the same as contour lines on a contour map, which is a topographic map that shows the elevation of a surface. Each contour line represents points with the same elevation, similar to how each level curve represents points with the same value of a function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of level curves?

Yes, level curves have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to analyze changes in temperature or pressure over a geographic region, or to optimize production and cost functions in a business setting.