Lever system - brake (counting of forces)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding forces and the equation F1D1=F2D2. The individual asking the question is confused about why they need to divide the force by 6 cm and if they should be considering pressure. The other person clarifies that the question is about forces and not pressures, and that dividing by 6 cm will not give pressure. They suggest using the equation for the lever rule or equilibrium of torques to solve the question.
Bublifuk
Hello.
I tried to solve this question:
3586m3n.jpg

So F1D1=F2D2. Thus:
60N/ 0,06m x 0,2 m= f/0,02m x 0,04m
=100 Newton applied to the piston, but this doesn't fit to the answers offered.
What did I wrong?:(

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you dividing the 60 N force by 6 cm?

Because it applies some force on the area, isn't it?

It's so easy, that I just need to divide 60N by 0,2M?

Bublifuk said:
Because it applies some force on the area, isn't it?

It's so easy, that I just need to divide 60N by 0,2M?

I think you are mixing the lever rule with the hydraulic press (Pascal principle).
The question is about forces. You don't need pressures. And dividing by 6 cm will not give pressure anyway (it's piston's diameter not its area).
Are there more questions related to the same diagram?

No, only this one.
Have you managed to solve it?

Use the equation for the lever or just equilibrium of torques around the pivot.

Related to Lever system - brake (counting of forces)

What is a lever system brake and how does it work?

A lever system brake is a mechanism used to slow down or stop the movement of an object. It works by using a lever to apply a force on a brake pad, which then creates friction against a surface, causing the object to slow down or stop.

What are the three types of lever systems used in brakes?

The three types of lever systems used in brakes are first-class, second-class, and third-class levers. In first-class levers, the fulcrum is located between the effort (force applied) and the load (object being moved). In second-class levers, the load is between the effort and the fulcrum. In third-class levers, the effort is between the load and the fulcrum.

What is the main purpose of using a lever system in brakes?

The main purpose of using a lever system in brakes is to increase the amount of force applied to the brake pads. This allows for greater friction to be created, resulting in better braking performance.

What factors affect the counting of forces in a lever system brake?

The counting of forces in a lever system brake is affected by the length of the lever arm, the angle at which the force is applied, and the amount of force applied. These factors can affect the amount of force applied to the brake pads and ultimately impact the braking performance.

What are some common applications of lever system brakes?

Lever system brakes are commonly used in various modes of transportation, such as cars, bicycles, and trains. They are also used in industrial machinery, such as cranes and forklifts, as well as in everyday objects, such as doors and scissors.