1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Levi-Civita and Kronecker delta identity, proof with determinants

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to understand a proof of the LC-KD identity involving determinants (see attachment), from the book Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Continuum Mechanics by Herinbockel.
    What is the author saying in the last line of text? How can we sum the deltas in the upper right corner, shouldn't we sum the three determinants as a whole, since we're doing that on the other side of the equation? And how does the sum 3 come into the picture anyway?

2. Relevant equations

See attachment.

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems I should write out the whole determinant for all i,j,k,r,s,t, but that would not make the proof any easier than doing it by "brute force" in the first place!

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Pifagor! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    erm :redface:

no attachment! :biggrin:

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3
    .../four letter word /... now it should be OK

5. Jul 8, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that's better! :biggrin:

if you use the δit on the top right to replace all the is by ts in its cofactor, you get minus the cofactor for δii

the same for δis, so you have (3 - 1 - 1) times that cofactor :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook