Levi-civita connection assumptions

In summary, the Levi-Civita connection is a unique connection that is compatible with the metric and has zero torsion. This is defined as the covariant derivative, in which the connection coefficient is torsion-free. The equation \partial_r e_i=\Gamma^{j}_{ir}e_j is true for any connection, and the torsion-free assumption is implicitly used in the derivation of the L-C connection. However, without this assumption, the connection is no longer uniquely defined and is not the L-C connection.
RedX
In a lot of textbooks on relativity the Levi-Civita connection is derived like this:

[tex]V=V^ie_i [/tex]
[tex]dV=dV^ie_i+V^ide_i [/tex]
[tex]dV=\partial_jV^ie_idx^j+V^i \Gamma^{j}_{ir}e_j dx^r [/tex]
which after relabeling indices:
[tex]dV=(\partial_jV^i+V^k \Gamma^{i}_{kj})e_i dx^j [/tex]

so that the covariant derivative is defined as:

[tex]\nabla_j V^i=\partial_jV^i+V^k \Gamma^{i}_{kj}[/tex]

However, the connection coefficient [tex]\Gamma^{i}_{kj} [/tex] is torsion-free by definition, as [tex]de_i=\Gamma^{j}_{ir}e_j dx^r [/tex] implies that
(1) [tex]\partial_r e_i=\Gamma^{j}_{ir}e_j [/tex].

If [tex]e_i=\partial_i[/tex] then since [tex]\partial_i\partial_r=\partial_r\partial_i[/tex] then by (1):

[tex]\Gamma^{j}_{ir}e_j=\Gamma^{j}_{ri}e_j [/tex]

or that the bottom two indices are symmetric which is the torsion-free condition.

I have two questions. Is the equation [tex]\partial_r e_i=\Gamma^{j}_{ir}e_j [/tex] true in general for any connection? And also, where did the torsion-free assumption enter into the derivation above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I'm not sure about the derivation you gave, I'm a bit hazy on all this. As far as I know the Levi-Civita connection is, by definition, the (unique) connection which is compatible with the metric and has zero torsion. (Perhaps this is shown in Jost, Differential Geometry or similar.)

Presumably this means that if you remove the zero torsion hypothesis, the connection is no longer uniquely defined (and it is not the L-C connection).

Dave

What is the Levi-Civita connection?

The Levi-Civita connection is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that describes the notion of parallel transport. It is a way of connecting tangent spaces at different points on a smooth manifold, allowing for the comparison of geometric objects such as vectors and tensors between these points.

What are the assumptions made in the Levi-Civita connection?

The Levi-Civita connection assumes that the underlying manifold is smooth and that the metric tensor is non-degenerate and symmetric. It also assumes that the metric tensor is compatible with the connection, meaning that the covariant derivative of the metric tensor is zero.

How is the Levi-Civita connection related to Riemannian geometry?

The Levi-Civita connection is a special case of the more general notion of a connection in Riemannian geometry. In Riemannian geometry, the metric tensor is used to define a unique connection on the manifold, and this connection is known as the Levi-Civita connection.

What is the significance of the Levi-Civita connection in physics?

The Levi-Civita connection is used in many areas of physics, such as general relativity, quantum field theory, and string theory. It allows for the description of the curvature and geometry of the underlying spacetime, which is essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

Can the Levi-Civita connection be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds?

No, the Levi-Civita connection is specific to Riemannian manifolds, where the metric tensor is used to define the connection. In non-Riemannian manifolds, other types of connections, such as affine connections, are used to describe parallel transport.