1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie Algebra isomorphism

1. May 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Take

[tex] L = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & -a & -b \\b & c & 0 \\a & 0 & -c\end{array}\right) [/tex]

where a,b,c are complex numbers.

2. Relevant equations

I find that a basis for the above Lie Algebra is

[tex]e_1 = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & -1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 \\1 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex]e_2 = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 0 & -1 \\1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex]e_3 = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

I then calculate all the products [itex] [e_i,e_j] [/itex] and see that L is non-abelian and simple

3. The attempt at a solution

The question then asks show L is isomorphic to sl(2,C). I have found [itex] e,f,h \in L [/itex] such that [itex] [h,e] = 2e, [h,f] = -2f, [e,f] = h[/itex]
    where,

[tex]h = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 2 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -2 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex]e = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 0 & -\sqrt{2} \\ \sqrt{2} & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex]f = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 & -\sqrt{2} & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 \\ \sqrt{2} & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

if I haven't made any mistakes. I see L is homomorphic to sl(2,C) but how do I show it's an isomorphism? (i.e show the injection and surjection). I know the definitions for an injection map and a surjection map but don't know how to apply it in this case.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've just written down a sub-algebra isomorphic to sl_2, and clearly it is all of the space (just by dimension arguments). There is nothing more to show.

You haven't actually written down a map so you can't apply the notion of injection or surjection. If you want to put in a map - there is an obvious one - then it is trivially an injection (and a surjection).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?