Lifetime of Universe: Limits & Expansion Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the lifetime of a closed universe and the behavior of the universe at late times. It also touches on the expansion and contraction of open and closed universes, the presence of dark energy, and the role of a cosmological constant in the Friedmann equation. There is also mention of a past and future singularity in a closed universe without dark energy and the current understanding that our universe is undergoing accelerated expansion.
unscientific
I am studying general relativity from Hobson and came across the term 'lifetime' of a closed (k>0) universe, ##t_{lifetime}##.

I suppose at late times the curvature dominates and universe starts contracting? Are they simply referring to ##\int_0^{\infty} dt##? If so, would the bottom expression be right?

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}dt = \int_1^{0} \frac{1}{a(t) H(t)} dt[/tex]

Do you think this makes sense since ##a(t)## is decreasing and will eventually reach ##0##?

Then for an open universe (k<0), won't the universe simply keep expanding? If I read right, our universe is mostly flat, right? Then what is driving the expansion? Dust?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the closed universe (without dark energy), there will be a past singularity as well as a future singularity, i.e., there will be a maximal value for the cosmological time t.

This is purely academic as we seem to be living in a universe with a dark energy component that has already started to dominate, meaning the universe will forever undergo accelerated expansion.

Orodruin said:
In the closed universe (without dark energy), there will be a past singularity as well as a future singularity, i.e., there will be a maximal value for the cosmological time t.

This is purely academic as we seem to be living in a universe with a dark energy component that has already started to dominate, meaning the universe will forever undergo accelerated expansion.

Ok, so it would be
[tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_{life}}dt = \int_1^{0} \frac{1}{a(t) H(t)} dt[/tex]

So there is a 'cosmological constant' after all? Meaning since ##\rho_{\Lambda} = constant##, then solving the friedmann equation gives ##a(t) \propto e^{mt}##.

anyone?

unscientific said:
I suppose at late times the curvature dominates and universe starts contracting?

No. What happens is that the density of ordinary matter in the universe is sufficient to cause it to recollapse. The second Friedmann equation, for ##\ddot{a} / a##, is the key to the dynamics; note that there is no curvature term in this equation.

unscientific said:
Are they simply referring to ##\int_0^{\infty} dt## ?

No. This just gives ##\infty - 0 = \infty##.

unscientific said:
Do you think this makes sense

No. I don't understand what you think this integral represents.

unscientific said:
So there is a 'cosmological constant' after all? Meaning since ##\rho_{\Lambda} = constant##, then solving the friedmann equation gives ##a(t) \propto e^{mt}## .

There is a cosmological constant according to our best current model, yes. But I don't see what the integral you wrote down has to do with it.

1. What is the estimated lifetime of the universe?

The estimated lifetime of the universe is around 13.8 billion years, based on current scientific theories and observations.

2. Can the universe expand forever?

At this point, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. However, as our understanding of the universe evolves, this theory may change.

3. How does the expansion of the universe work?

The expansion of the universe is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that counteracts gravity and causes the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. This expansion is also influenced by the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

4. Will the expansion of the universe eventually slow down or stop?

Based on current observations, it is unlikely that the expansion of the universe will slow down or stop. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and our understanding may change in the future.

5. What are the limits of the universe?

As far as we know, the universe has no physical boundaries or limits. It is constantly expanding, and the observable universe is limited by the distance light has been able to travel since the beginning of the universe.