Light Intensity versus Current (Concept Question)

This means that the PV array will output twice as much current, which is 4.8 A, when the clouds part and the sun comes out. In summary, the PV array will output 4.8 A when the light intensity is doubled.
ShamTheCandle
Hi. :smile:

Homework Statement

Consider the following scenario: On a partly cloudy day you find that a household PV array outputs 2.4 amps of current. If the clouds part and the sun comes out, exactly doubling the amount of light incident on the PV array, we should expect the array to output to be:

a)2.4 A
b)4.8 A
c)more than 4.8 A
d)less than 2.4 A
e)between 2.4 and 4.8 A

Homework Equations

I am not sure, if there is an equation between light intensity and current.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am guessing the answer is b). It naturally makes sense to me. Is it right?
Can someone explain it to me using theory?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the answer is b) 4.8 A. The amount of current output from a photovoltaic (PV) array is directly proportional to the amount of light that is incident on the array. Therefore, if the light incident on the array is doubled, the current output will also be doubled.

Hi there! You are correct in your guess that the answer is b) 4.8 A. Let me explain why using some theory.

Firstly, let's define light intensity and current. Light intensity is the amount of light energy that falls on a surface in a given time. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electric charge through a conductor.

In the given scenario, we have a PV array that is converting light energy into electrical energy. This means that the light intensity incident on the array directly affects the amount of current it outputs. When the clouds part and the sun comes out, the light intensity incident on the array doubles. This increase in light intensity leads to an increase in the amount of light energy being converted into electrical energy, resulting in a higher output current.

To understand this concept better, we can look at the equation for current (I) in a circuit, which is I = V/R, where V is voltage and R is resistance. In this case, the voltage remains constant, as it is determined by the PV array's design. However, when the light intensity doubles, the resistance of the PV array decreases, resulting in an increase in current output.

Therefore, we can conclude that when the light intensity doubles, the current output of the PV array will also double, resulting in an output of 4.8 A. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the relationship between light intensity and current?

The relationship between light intensity and current is directly proportional. This means that as light intensity increases, the current also increases.

2. How is light intensity measured?

Light intensity is typically measured in units of lux, which is a measure of the amount of light that falls on a given surface. It can also be measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

3. What factors affect light intensity?

The intensity of light is affected by several factors, including the distance between the light source and the surface, the angle at which the light hits the surface, and the properties of the material the light is passing through.

4. How does light intensity affect the efficiency of a solar cell?

Light intensity has a direct impact on the efficiency of a solar cell. Higher light intensity results in a higher current output and therefore a higher efficiency for the solar cell.

5. Can light intensity be converted directly into current?

No, light intensity cannot be directly converted into current. The conversion process involves the use of a photovoltaic material, such as silicon, which converts the energy from light into electrical current.